EC after missing a pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
aj2234
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

EC after missing a pill

Unread post by aj2234 »

Hi guys,

I just wanted to check under what circumstances (if any) you would need to take emergency contraception after a missed pill. My pill packet has plenty on what to do for a missed pill and how to proceed moving forward, but I noticed it didn't say anything about any action needed if you've had sex prior to missing the pill.

So, are there any circumstances, e.g. having sex a few days before a missed pill that would necessitate emergency contraception, or is that not necessary because the protection doesn't drop to 0%, just to the 'regular use' percentage?

Does this change with missing more than one pill?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: EC after missing a pill

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi aj2234,

EC wouldn't likely be necessary in this situation, as one missed pill is unlikely to decrease your effectiveness (possible, but not likely). If more pills are missed, then that does pose a risk of decreased effectiveness (although given that sperm can only live 2-5 days inside your body, sex prior to missing those pills poses much less of a risk than sex that was had after missing multiple pills).
aj2234
not a newbie

Re: EC after missing a pill

Unread post by aj2234 »

Hey Sam, thanks very much for the info. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic