Safe Sex Toys

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Begonias
not a newbie
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Safe Sex Toys

Unread post by Begonias »

Hi,

I'm a virgin and curious about purchasing a dildo or a vibrator or something like that. I don't really know where to start....

. Where can I purchase safe sex toys... recommendations for safe quality websites would be amazing
. Is there a certain size I should go for?
. Are vibrators or dildo's harmful? Or can they be?
. Should I use silicon lube with them or water based lube with them?
. Sometimes it hurts if I use my fingers for penetration... if this happens with a sex toy, will it go away? Should I stop and try again later? Should I keep going to see if it stops?
. Is there anything I haven't asked that I'm missing??

This is kind of new to me and I might hate or I might like it and it might help me get an idea of what I might enjoy..... and it's also really weird so I figured safe sound advice was the best way to go.

Thanks!
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Safe Sex Toys

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Begonias,
Where can I purchase safe sex toys... recommendations for safe quality websites would be amazing
I know Scarleteen has worked with early2bed in the past so this could be a good place to start your research. They discuss things like Sex Toy materials on their website. Generally safety is about things being smooth and made of materials that are cleanable and don't allow bacteria to build up. Condoms can also be used on all kinds of items, including cheaper sex toys to provide that layer of safety.

More info on that here: D.I.Y. Sex Toys: The Partnered Edition
Is there a certain size I should go for?
This is very personal, but I'd say vibrators are generally for external clitoral stimulation, and so size is maybe less of an issue than price and sensation. If you are looking to insert something internally and are having trouble with that maybe it would be wise to choose things which are smaller.
Are vibrators or dildo's harmful? Or can they be?
I think the only risk is infection if you do not keep sex toys clean.

Should I use silicon lube with them or water based lube with them?
This depends on the toy, silicone lube will damage silicone toys. Your chosen toy will hopefully have instructions.
Sometimes it hurts if I use my fingers for penetration... if this happens with a sex toy, will it go away? Should I stop and try again later? Should I keep going to see if it stops?
Yep, stop. If you keep doing what feels bad, you will learn a lot less about what feels good! Exploring what is enjoyable rather than painful is the best way to understand your body and pleasure a bunch better.
Is there anything I haven't asked that I'm missing??
No idea! I will say that it is also worth visiting a shop as being able to see and touch products makes it easier to understand what you are buying. Staff often have a better understanding of what people might like from a toy, and how to do maintenance... although they of course be trying to sell you things, as that is their job.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic