Don't know how to tell someone about UTI

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Oops123
Pronouns: She/her

Don't know how to tell someone about UTI

Unread post by Oops123 »

I have only recently gotten symptoms of a UTI, that is having the urge to pee and it burning when I do. I know that you can have UTI's from different things but I did have unprotected sex for the first time and I'm underage and fear it could be that.
It seems important that I see a doctor about it and although I could lie and say I'm not sexually active if it's from an STD like some have said, then it could be serious and I don't want to hide that. I'm really nervous about saying I had sex, especially if it wasn't that at all but just a somewhat common infection.
In addition, I have no idea how to broach this subject to my mum and should I just leave out the fact it may have been from sex. I'd also like to say I'm only a month away from turning 16 making me legal in the UK so will the situation be less serious if I'm honest?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Don't know how to tell someone about UTI

Unread post by al »

Hi there Oops123, and welcome to Scarleteen!

UTIs happen when bacteria gets from the vagina or anus into the urinary tract, and having sexual intercourse isn't the only way that happens - it can also be caused by not wiping from front to back when going to the bathroom or even wearing certain types of underwear (more on this over at I Think I Have A UTI! What Should I Do?). Some people (like me! :( ) are prone to getting UTIs even if they haven't done any of those things. So telling your mom that you're experiencing those symptoms doesn't necessarily mean she'll assume you've had sex.

It is the type of thing that you want to seek treatment for, not only because it's uncomfortable, but also because it will probably only get worse if you don't. Testing and treatment are usually pretty easy - they'll take a urine sample to confirm that you have a UTI, and give you a short course of antibiotics.
In terms of the conversation that you have with your doctor, it's up to you as to whether you tell them you've recently had sex for the first time. It's usually a good idea to be honest with your doctor so that they can make informed decisions about getting you the best treatment, especially if there are routine procedures like STI testing or cervical exams involved. In the UK, doctors are legally not allowed to disclose information to parents or legal guardians without your consent unless it's an extenuating circumstance (according to UK legal nonprofit General Medical Council), so that's one less thing to worry about.

Just to double check - was there any risk of pregnancy or contracting an STI during this unprotected sex? Have you done any thinking about using barrier methods or contraception to reduce that risk?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Oops123

Unread post by Oops123 »

Hello, thank you for replying!

This has made me feel better about going to the doctor and telling the truth to them and I'm sure my mum won't suspect it to be because of sex. Also is it normal for it to only be uncomfortable peeing sometimes because it seemed like it and gotten better then it hadn't, this couldn't be something else could it?

I am pretty sure there was no risk of contracting an STI, however, I do feel a little worried about the pregnancy thing because I got what looked like a period a week early and it only lasted for a day which has gotten me worried as it has never happened before and I'm not sure why. This reply is a mess really :cry:
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi oops,

You can sometimes have a random instance where peeing is more uncomfortable than normal, but given the symptoms you describe, going to a healthcare provider is a sound choice.

With STIs, unless you talked with the other person about STI status before having sex, you can't be fully sure what the risks are. Did a conversation like that happen? With pregnancy, how about taking a look at this article and seeing what steps you can take for your situation: The Pregnancy Panic Companion .

Since it sounds like you don't want to be pregnant any time soon, can I ask why you and your partner chose to have unprotected sex? And would you like to talk about contraception options for the future?
Oops123

Unread post by Oops123 »

Ok, thank you I will tell them about it then.

We did have a conversation and he said that he was clean which is why I'm not that worried about it really unless of course he lied but I like to think he hadn't.

We actually hadn't started unprotected but the condom broke or something and we didn't bother putting another one on, it was a stupid decision at a weak moment I believe and I obviously regret it now :oops:
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! You might want to ask them about STI testing when you're there as well. Even if you're sure your partner was truthful when he said he was negative for STIs, it's helpful to get tested when you start being sexual with someone just for peace of mind.

Since it sounds like you two use condoms, this article can give you some tips on how to minimize the chances of them breaking during use: All the Barriers! All the Time! . Is there anything else you'd like to ask us about right now?
Oops123

Unread post by Oops123 »

So are all doctors able to test for STI's and do I just ask them I want to be tested?

Ah thank you for the article, I can now see we didn't know as much as we thought about how to put on a condom correctly :lol:

Thank you and I don't think I have any more questions this was very helpful!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome, I'm glad it was helpful!

What I'd suggest is describing your situation to them and asking for their recommendation on if they think you should test and if that's something they can do for you then and there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic