Is First birth control pill on 10th day effective?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Dilara
Pronouns: She

Is First birth control pill on 10th day effective?

Unread post by Dilara »

Hello,
I will have my honeymoon holidays trip on july 26th (duration: 10 days)
I will start living with my husband on the same day.
I need to know wich is the best time to start taking my first bith control pills.
Actually my current cycle started on july 6th night.
So I have two issues:
1- if I start today: i may have period during the beach holiday so i need to take 2 successive plaquettes of pills. Am i still going to have spottings during holidays :( ?
2- if I start on july 16, I may then avoid having period during holidays but am i still protected ? And the fact that I will start my firt pill the 10th day of my current cycle, the ovulation will be on process so am i surely avoiding period during the week of july 26th ?
Many thanks
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is First birth control pill on 10th day effective?

Unread post by Heather »

You should figure that you probably are going to at least spot or have a period around the time you’d normally have a period no matter what. Taking one pack of pills right after the other, particularly with this first pack and since you did not start on day one of your cycle, isn’t likely to change that.

You also need to figure that since you did not do a first day start OR a Sunday start, that you will NOT likely have the complete protection your pill can offer. So, if you want to prevent pregnancy effectively, you will need to back up with a second method, like a condom.

That all given, I think your best bet is just to start your pill as soon as possible, plan for at least some spotting or a period (neither of which should be a big deal) and bring a second backup method and let your husband know you’ll need to use it (particularly if it is a method he needs to use or be part of).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic