Are birth control pills less effective if you have spotting?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
anwagner
Pronouns: she

Are birth control pills less effective if you have spotting?

Unread post by anwagner »

I've been on the same dose of the pill since i was 16, Im now 21, and never had any instances of spotting until recently less than a week before my period was due. It was brown spotting which only lasted for two hours. Im just concerned because this has never happened before so its just strange. Does this mean the pill will be less effective in preventing pregnancy or is this just a normal thing that can sometimes happen on the pill? Thanks
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Are birth control pills less effective if you have spotting?

Unread post by Heather »

Nope! Side effects of a medication are only that. If anything, they are evidence that you are obviously absorbing the medication, otherwise you wouldn’t be getting effects from it, you know?

I would just be sure you are up to date with your sexual healthcare, including your STI screenings, particularly anytime unusual (for you) discharges occur.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic