Hashimoto's Disease and periods

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
laurabriann
not a newbie
Primary language: Turkish, English
Pronouns: She/her

Hashimoto's Disease and periods

Unread post by laurabriann »

Hi,
I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, aka subclinical hypothyroidism, in February 2018 and taking medicine since then. I've been tracking my periods for almost 2 years now and I can say that I don't have irregular periods even though I don't always start my period on the expected date but a few days earlier or later. Now, I should have my period in 3 days but I don't have any PMS, I do always have tender breasts at least a week before I get my period, and now my breasts are not sore at all, I do get light cramps in my abdomen but my breasts are not sore which makes me really puzzled. Could this be because of the thyroid medicine since I am basically taking hormones?
I had four intercourses during this cycle, we used condom every single time (correctly, no failure) and there was no genital contact at all without a condom on. I know that condoms are not 100% safe, but there was no leakage and none of them have been broken, so does this pose a huge risk? We probably all know that Friends episode where Rachel gets pregnant even though there is not a visible condom failure... So I mean that freaks me out a little.
Also, I had some important final exams this month so I was and still am quite stressed.

I'd appreciate it a lot if you could please help me with my questions. Thank you in advance :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Hashimoto's Disease and periods

Unread post by Heather »

As you know, we won't engage with pregnancy scares, so I can't help with that part of your question and concerns.

I also can't tell you why you are not having breast tenderness. That's just not a thing I can no, but no, it likely isn't about your thyroid medication. However, you can check the listed side effects for that medication if you're curious.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic