How do I talk to my mom about period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
TooWorry
not a newbie
Primary language: English

How do I talk to my mom about period?

Unread post by TooWorry »

So I am currently one month late on my period. I guess it skipped this month because I’m irregular. I haven’t had sex since August & since then I have had two periods already. I haven’t had sex since August but my period didn’t come for October. I think I may need to get on birth control to regulate my periods. I just don’t know how to talk to my mom about all of this. She’s going to automatically assume I’m pregnant and freak out. She knows I’m sexually active so I’m just nervous to bring the conversation up. I’ve been really worried about my skilled period because I haven’t skipped a period since I was in my mid teens. I’m 20 years old & have had a period every month for the past 3 years. Now all of a sudden I missed one. How do I talk to my mom about all of this without getting her worked up about everything?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: How do I talk to my mom about period?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Tooworry,

Can I ask why you need to ask her about this given you're a legal adult (for instance, is this a case where you're still on her insurance and are afraid this prescription will show)?

If you need to talk to her about this, I'd suggest explaining it to her the way you've explained it to us: you're hoping birth control can help you regulate your cycle. That's a simple, honest explanation, and if she still freaks out that has more to do with her own tendencies around believing you than how you explained things to her.

So you know, it's not that unusual to have a month where your period doesn't come come. You can read more about that here: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic