Period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
wildprincess
not a newbie

Period?

Unread post by wildprincess »

Hey guys, sorry once again for the endless stream of questions. Today my boyfriend and I had sex, or attempted to at least. This is our third time ever having sex (we lost our virginities to each other). Halfway through sex he pulled out and saw some blood. It seemed as if my period had started! We stopped and I went to clean up- I noticed there was a small clot. I put on a pad and we cuddled and played some games. Its been about 4 hours now and when I went to check the pad, there was only this kind of brownish discharge. I'm confused as to whether that was my period starting or something more serious? I am aware brownish discharge could be the sign of an impending period and I often get this a day before the actual flow. I've been late for 2 days now and I've taken a pregnancy test and it said negative so I am somewhat certain I am not pregnant. I'm just wondering as to what the blood during sex was? Was it my period starting? If so, why did it stop after we stop having sex?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Period?

Unread post by Karyn »

It could be the start of your period: sometimes they stop and start like that, especially at the beginning or at the end. Sometimes too having sex can sort of kick-start a period if it's due, especially if you reached orgasm: during orgasm the muscles in the pelvis and around the uterus contract, which can push out menstrual flow (and then the flow might decrease if a period is just getting started). The other possibility is that there was too much friction, and the blood you saw was from a small scrape or abrasion. Genital tissue is pretty delicate and even a small injury can bleed more than you might expect.

Either way, it will become clear in a couple of days what this is, and it doesn't sound like it's anything to be concerned about, particularly since you're expecting your period. (If bleeding during sex starts happening regularly when you aren't expecting a period, however, that's something that should be looked into by a healthcare professional as it can be a sign of infection.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
wildprincess
not a newbie

Unread post by wildprincess »

Thanks for your quick and concise reply! I was doing some research on the internet and it's written that it could be implantation bleeding? The last time we had sex was on the 25th of March so I guess it's possible? But it was bright red blood and quite a lot- it made three large splodges on the sheets. As well as that, there was a small clot. Is implantation bleeding still possible?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Locked Previous topicNext topic