Is it normal to bleed a week after Emergency Contraception?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Star19
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Food
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Female

Is it normal to bleed a week after Emergency Contraception?

Unread post by Star19 »

sorry for asking a lot of questions but on the last post I forgot to mention something.
In detail I took a generic brand of plan B called Take action after an uncomfortable situation. I did not give consent, and the situation only lasted a few seconds to a minute because I pushed him away.

Soon after that incident I took the EC and this all happend on January 1st. I am scared I was ovulating that day and took that EC as a caution because even if it was that few seconds of sex I was scared of the pre-ejaculation fluid I am not asking if I am pregnant because I know the policy, just a lot of forums do not have a clear answer to these questions.

Anyway I began to have cramps a few days after taking the EC almost like a week and a half of cramping. The following week I had my normal PMS symptoms. I expected to because I knew my period should come the following week because last month my period was on December 17th.

Instead I started to bleed on January 14th which was a couple days early then my expected period due for January. Also this was a week after taking EC.

I read up the taking EC is pointless during ovulation and after you ovulate. I also am confused on the bleeding after EC. It lasted my normal 6 days just like my period and was heavy for two days with intense cramps and off and on bleeding through out the rest of the days till the ending. I know it wasn't implantation bleeding because the blood I had was heavy with intense cramps a bit of clots like I usually get. As for implantation it is a lot lighter and only last a few days.

What has me confused is that does that bleeding count as my period for this month since I was supposed to get my period for January anyway? Or is that just an artificial period?

I looked on so many sites and it said that bleeding after EC is not your menstrual cycle it is called "withdrawal bleeding" or "breakthrough bleeding." Not to mention that apparently that bleeding does not count as a menses.To expect the next "actual period" next month.

Having to wait anouther month for the next period is worrisome I thought that having the bleeding this month was my period and greatful it started, but now knowing it doesn't count it is worrisome to wait anouther month.

So does that mean that the bleeding I had really isn't a period then even though I had my normal PMS symptoms and it lasted the exact amount my period was supposed to last which was six days? If it is true on the bleeding not considered my monthly period and known "withdrawal bleeding" after a week of taking EC why does the bleeding happen? I have asked and searched but no one seems to have this answer.

Does that mean bleeding is a good sign or something? It is confusing
Last edited by Star19 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is it normal to bleed a week after Emergency Contraception?

Unread post by Heather »

What's generally suggested is that people who use EC who are concerned about pregnancy afterward -- or aren't sure if the bleeding they have is or isn't their period -- just take a pregnancy test.

That way, you get an accurate answer, and also don't have to try and figure out what bleeding is what, which, as you know from experience right now, can be very confusing and frustrating.

Bleeding or spotting can happen as a side effect because EC is progestin, a synthetic version of the hormone that, at certain levels, signals uterine sloughing. Changes in progesterone levels are why menstruation happens, so the same can go with changes in those levels synthetic versions create. Make sense?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Star19
not a newbie

Unread post by Star19 »

Heather wrote:What's generally suggested is that people who use EC who are concerned about pregnancy afterward -- or aren't sure if the bleeding they have is or isn't their period -- just take a pregnancy test.

That way, you get an accurate answer, and also don't have to try and figure out what bleeding is what, which, as you know from experience right now, can be very confusing and frustrating.

Bleeding or spotting can happen as a side effect because EC is progestin, a synthetic version of the hormone that, at certain levels, signals uterine sloughing. Changes in progesterone levels are why menstruation happens, so the same can go with changes in those levels synthetic versions create. Make sense?

So if I already took a test multiple times within the same month after the situation which is January towards the end of this month like 27 days after takeing EC and it's negative would that be a clear answer
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Yep. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Star19
not a newbie

Unread post by Star19 »

Heather wrote:Yep. :)
Okay thank you :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic