Hormone fluctuations while on the pill?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
elainabeee
not a newbie

Hormone fluctuations while on the pill?

Unread post by elainabeee »

Hi! I have been on the pill for about two and a half years now, and occasionally I will have sore breasts mid-cycle, similar to how I had breast tenderness when I ovulated before the pill.
I was wondering, do your hormones still fluctuate when on the pill, as they would normally, causing breast soreness?
I haven't switched medications so I know it's not a new side effect, and I always take my pill on time (also using condoms) so it is very unlikely for me to be pregnant.
Thank you!!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Hormone fluctuations while on the pill?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi elainabee,

Your body is still likely experiencing some hormone fluctuation, which could explain the tenderness. Too, side effects can arise even after a year or two of use, so that's another possible explanation.
elainabeee
not a newbie

Sam W wrote:Hi elainabee,

Your body is still likely experiencing some hormone fluctuation, which could explain the tenderness. Too, side effects can arise even after a year or two of use, so that's another possible explanation.
Thank you Sam! This has happened to me several times before, where I experience tenderness mid-pill pack. Obviously I wasn't pregnant in those cases either so I was curious about what could be causing this. Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Bear in mind, too, that hormonal methods of contraception don't actually eradicate or take away your own cycles, they just influence them. So, people can still, for instance, experience pre-menstrual symptoms and other things that occur because of cyclical shifts -- both with your method and your body -- of estrogen and progestin.

But if you find the tenderness has moved from something that's no big to being painful, you can always check in with your prescribing physician: sometimes one pill brand or type is more likely to result in certain specific side effects that another isn't.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
elainabeee
not a newbie

Heather wrote:Bear in mind, too, that hormonal methods of contraception don't actually eradicate or take away your own cycles, they just influence them. So, people can still, for instance, experience pre-menstrual symptoms and other things that occur because of cyclical shifts -- both with your method and your body -- of estrogen and progestin.

But if you find the tenderness has moved from something that's no big to being painful, you can always check in with your prescribing physician: sometimes one pill brand or type is more likely to result in certain specific side effects that another isn't.
Thanks Heather! I was thinking along the same lines but just wanted to check & make sure that what I am experiencing is normal. Thank you :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

My pleasure. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic