Birth control side effect or...?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
nokatprotested
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Birth control side effect or...?

Unread post by nokatprotested »

I started taking birth control pills on August 16 using neither of the "normal" start methods because my period is irregular and was already 2 weeks late. A week later (August 23) I started having brown spotting and by the next morning I was having a full blown period, filling about 1 pad a day for 7 days (until August 31). My normal period is 5-6 days, so since it was delayed I understand that may cause a longer bleeding period this time, but what is concerning me is that now I've been having brown discharge, enough to show up a bit on a pad but not fill it, since September 1. Also, I just went to the restroom and when I wiped there was bright red blood on the tissue. I have 2 active pills left. Could this just be my period coming again since I started my pills before my period and now it's time for it to actually come? I haven't done anything sexual besides dry humping with pants on, so I know I'm not pregnant. What's going on?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control side effect or...?

Unread post by Johanna »

Irregular bleeding and spotting are the most common side effects of starting the pill, so this does not sound a cause for concern. But if you are worried, or have more questions, your prescribing doctor is the person to ask.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
nokatprotested
not a newbie

Unread post by nokatprotested »

Can I rely on the 7 days of heavy bleeding as my period? It felt like my period as far as blood flow, but I didn't have any cramps (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't) and I was on my active BC pills. If my period was late, would starting BC have made it start? I'm confused. I want to say I got my period on August 24, but I need to be sure. Are there any other reasons for a week of heavy bleeding? It wasn't spotting, it was literally feeling blood pouring out when I stand up, squirting when I sneeze, filling about a pad a day and one at night, normal (for me) bleeding.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

That definitely sounds like a period :) When you're first starting pills, your body is adjusting, so it might arrive on the active pills, and you may have different symptoms than usual (although honestly, symptoms will vary from period to period even when you're not on the pill)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic