Depo Provera and antibiotics?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Depo Provera and antibiotics?

Unread post by 55 »

Hello,

I have been prescribed antibiotics by my doctor for an ear infection (flucloxaxillin). I’m confused as to whether antibiotics can affect birth control or not. I’m on the contraceptive injection. Do I need to use extra protection? Thanks
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Depo Provera and antibiotics?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi 55,

You can find an overview of what things do and do not decrease birth control effectiveness here: Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control. Too, generally speaking, when a healthcare provider prescribes you a medication, they'll let you know if it's likely to interfere with other medications or elements of your ongoing healthcare. But you can also call either your healthcare provider or pharmacist and double-check about the interactions between this antibiotic and the shot.

As for whether to use a back-up method, if you're feeling anxious about the effectiveness of your primary method and/or you learn the antibiotics might decrease it, then backing up would be a sound call.
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Hi, my doctor said it shouldn’t. But your article says it might? 🤔
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

In that case, I'd go with what your doctor says, since that specific antibiotic isn't mentioned in the article and a healthcare provider who has access to and knowledge of your medical history is going to be able to give you a better sense of whether a certain medication could interact poorly with the shot.
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Well your article does mention it in the sense that it’s a broad spectrum antibiotic. The line that concerned me was ‘much of this research has included sample sizes considered too small to detect a rare interaction that may occur in less than 1% of users’. Thanks
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Hi. Did speak to Doctor . They said it ‘shouldn’t’ affect it. I don’t think depo injection has many drug interactions but all confusing as patient leaflet for antibiotics says can effect contraceptive pill.
Willa
Awesomeness Quotient: I think I am silly and love making ppl laugh
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: bisexual woman

Unread post by Willa »

Hi 55,

I agree with Sam that asking your doctor will give you the most accurate advice because it is specific to the contraception you are using specifically and the medication that you are on. Your doctor will also have more experience of history of past patients and their reactions and that knowledge to pull from. There is always risk in every methods but I would not over focus on statistics that are for contraceptives you are not on such as antibiotic reactions to the pill.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic