Medication and contraception?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Medication and contraception?

Unread post by 55 »

Hello, my doctor recently prescribed me pantoprazole (a proton pump inhibitor medication for acid reflux).

I noticed on the leaflet it says it can interfere with Ella one emergency contraception.

I was just wondering, why does it specifically affect Ella one but not the combined pill etc?

I don’t want to take something that could interfere with my Depo injection. Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Medication and contraception?

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there.

I’m afraid I don’t know for sure why it lists that one specifically, save that that may well be the only one that showed any issues in studies.

Since it doesn’t list Depo, and since you were prescribed this while you are also prescribed Depo, I would not assume there are any issues. It also may well be that the issue with this medication (I take it too!) and the Ella is that the Ella is an oral medication.

When in doubt about medication interactions, the best person to check with is a pharmacist. So, you can certainly call in to where your Pantoprazole is filled and double check about the Depo.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic