Visualizing genitals

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Starsnsloths
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her; he/him; they/them
Sexual identity: Questioning

Visualizing genitals

Unread post by Starsnsloths »

I have a question about perceiving your gender. Is it healthy to try to positively visualize your genitals as something like a pillow or something instead of as genitals? This isn't in a sexual role play way. And can you use that same visualization when your cleaning your body or do you need the mindfulness, or can you do both? I hope that makes sense, if not than I'll just move on. I am asking this because I personally, find looking at genitals uncomfortable and also is that like a trauma thing? (I'm almost 22).

Thank you!!!!!
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Visualizing genitals

Unread post by Latha »

Hi there, Starsandsloths

If it isn't keeping you from taking care of your health, I don't see how it could be unhealthy. Could discomfort with genitals be due to trauma? Yes, possibly- it can also be caused by picking up on sex-negative messages in our environment.

It can take time and energy to unlearn such messages or heal from trauma- and doing that may not be a priority for you at this point in time. So I'd say that this should be fine, so long as you can still take care of your health.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic