Changed timing of my pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Juliaho90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Changed timing of my pill

Unread post by Juliaho90 »

Hi, I have always been taking my Yasmin pills (21 pills) at 10am in the morning. But when I started my new pack this time round, I honestly forgot and only remembered I was supposed to start a new pack today and took the first pill at 5pm, and I also took my subsequent pills at about 3-7pm depending on my schedule. Does the shift from 10am to 5pm affect when I would get my withdrawal bleed? I usually get it on the fourth day after the last pill.
OrionRay
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a good author!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/They
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: Changed timing of my pill

Unread post by OrionRay »

Hey! Unfortunately it's hard to give you a super solid answer here, since it can vary a lot from person to person. The best I can give you is a solid maybe. It could impact your bleeding, or it could not; it depends a lot on your personal hormone levels. For the next 48 hours or so you should avoid having any sort of unprotected sex, though, as progesterone based birth control not taken an hour within its scheduled time isn't as reliable of a contraceptive. If you have any issues or don't bleed at all, you should see a doctor.
Here's a link to a few sources about birth control you may find interesting!
https://www.scarleteen.com/tags/birth_control
Juliaho90
not a newbie

I thought I just had to take it within the same time period e.g in the evening? Is that wrong? I don’t believe I have to take it at the exact same timing each day, though that would be the most ideal. Also, I thought I had 8 or 13 hours before a pill is considered late and not 1 hour like you mentioned here?
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Just to add, I usually get my bleed on the fourth day (usually by the evening) after the last active pill, but I still haven’t got any bleed and it’s already almost midnight my time. So it does seem like changing the timing of my pills has affected when the bleed starts? I wonder if this is normal?
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Juliaho90,

I think the confusion here is that the pill you're using is actually a combination pill, which does have a 12 hour grace period before it's even considered late. Too, lots of things can influence when we get a withdrawal bleed, so as Orion said we can't say for certain if or how this will influence yours.
OrionRay
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a good author!
Pronouns: She/They
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by OrionRay »

Hey Juliaho90,

I'm so sorry for the confusion! You and Sam are both right, Yasmin is a combination pill. I was reading from the wrong website, I sincerely apologize for the oversight.
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Is it possible that my withdrawal bleed is late even though I am on the pill? I have taken it in the evenings everyday, none missed. I do have some PMs symptoms which are normal for me but until today still no bleed. I can see a tiny amount of dark brown blood stain when I wipe but no actual bleed. I am now at day 5 of my 7 day break and I am starting to panic?

My last sex was on 5 Nov so that’s 2 weeks ago. I am having a lot of stress at work lately, could this also be why the withdrawal bleed is late? What would your advise be?
Latha
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Juliaho90!

It isn't that unusual for withdrawal bleeds to be late, to be very light, or to not come at all, because one of the ways the pill works is by thinning out your endometrium. And yes, stress could be affecting your cycle.

If you're concerned about the possibility of pregnancy, it would be a good idea to take a pregnancy test- that will tell you for sure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic