Boobs not growing

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Max3_3
not a newbie
Primary language: English or italian
Pronouns: She / they

Boobs not growing

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Hi, i'm here again! I'm 16, and Sorry if my english isn't good. and since my boobs started growing, my right boob didn't. I actually don't know why, and it's Always been like this since i was young, but this makes me a lot insecure, and i don't even know if this Is a problem or not. I do have a ovarian cyst that Is causing my period to not be regular, but i don't know if that can be the cause (?). I have been to a Gynecologist and She Just told me that i could have surgery to adjust this, but She didn't Say anything about this being a problem. So, i would like to know if there Is some cause of this? And since i'm hypocondriac, i usually freak out about this things
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Boobs not growing

Unread post by Latha »

Hi there, Max3_3

You don't need to worry- it is fairly common for one breast to be bigger than another, and most of the time, it is not a cause for concern. It is true that you can have surgery to adjust this, but it isn't necessary. If I may ask, what about this makes you feel insecure?

P.S. Your English is good!
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

I know it's pretty common for One breast to be bigger than another, but my right One Just didn't grow, like, the difference Is huge. It makes me feel insecure because i don't really like my body much, and this issue Just kinda make It worse
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, Max.

While asymmetry is what's most normal in human bodies, sometimes folks like yourself find that the asymmetry of some part of the body is profound, to the degree that it makes you feel lopsided in a big way. I'm sorry that it's been making it tougher for you to accept your body.

There isn't usually any kind of disease or anything that causes what you're describing, and it isn't something that poses any health problems. It's most often just a matter of hormones acting weird or the body responding to them atypically. Some conditions are associated with it, like scoliosis or something called "juvenile hypertropy." Sounds like you want to at least have a conversation with your doctor to ask if she has any concerns this is related to a condition, so you can get the answer to that.

In most cases, yes, if you want to change this, you're usually looking at surgery (hormone therapy is another option, apparently, if the issue is juvenile hypertropy. My friend Audra was in the same spot growing up and wrote a piece for us about her experience with it way back when Scarleteen was only in its first few years: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18773676/
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Thank you so much for the info! i'm glad that it's not a serious problem, and It makes me feel Better than i'm not alone in this
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You know, I'm still close friends with Audra, so if you feel like you'd benefit from a conversation with someone who has been in this spot, I'm happy to ask her to come by the boards for you, just LMK.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic