Yuzpe Method Questions

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
purplelover
Pronouns: She/her

Yuzpe Method Questions

Unread post by purplelover »

Hello! Just wondering in regards to this topic, I think I am experiencing withdrawal bleeding from doing the Yuzpe method. It is currently the 11th day since I took the meds (Yuzpe method) but I experienced bleeding since the 9th day. Does this mean the Yuzpe method worked or do I have to wait until my period actually starts? I am tracking my period using the Flo app and I should get my period by next week.

I do not take any other form of contraceptives as well and it is my first time trying or doing the Yuzpe method as the Plan B or morning-after pill isn't available in the country I came from.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Yuzpe Method Questions

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi purplelover,

I split your question off into it's own thread so we could address it specifically. We can't say for certain what this bleeding means, as vaginal bleeding can be a side effect of the method, but you're also close to when your period might start. Does the bleeding you're currently experiencing look or feel how your periods generally do? Too, do you have the ability to access a pregnancy test? That would be the way to know for sure whether or not the method worked.

You mention you're not on other forms of contraception. Does that include things like condoms or the withdrawal method?
purplelover

No, it doesn't feel or look how my usual periods are. This is light and the color most of the time is brown. During the first day it happened, it seems like there is a bit of clots but not a lot, and I examined it and it doesn't look like the usual chunks I see when I am menstruating.

Yes, I can access a pregnancy test kit. Is it better to use it ASAP or after the first day of when my period is supposed to start. Accrdg to the Flo app, I should have my period by 21st.

Withdrawal method was used but a condom, no.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Okay, so if the withdrawal method was used correctly, then that does give you a decent level of protection from pregnancy from the start. And since this doesn't look or feel like a period, that does suggest it might be a side effect of the pills, but we can't say for certain.

Since you have access to a test, I would go ahead and get one. The specifics of when and how to test vary depending on the specific test you buy. If you want more details on testing, this article is a really good starting place: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests.

Too, since it sounds like pregnancy isn't something you can risk right now, do you think it would be a good call for you and your partner to only do things where there isn't a risk? Or, if the two of you are willing to accept some risk in order to keep having intercourse, do you want to talk about what other birth control options are available?
purplelover

Since it might be a side effect of the pill, then it is best to wait for my actual period, is that right? I read that when doing Yuzpe method, there is also a chance that periods can be delayed. I'm just wondering if you know how long should I be delayed, is there like an average timeline?

But I will surely take a pregnancy test soon. Hoping to get favorable results 🙏🏻 Thank you for the helpful link! I'll surely read it!

If the method work, I will be taking regular birth control pills. We have access to that in my country.

Are abortion pills safe? Or is it better to have a d&c (dilation and curettage) instead? Do you have articles relating to these two?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

It's hard to say exactly how long the yuzpe method might have an effect on your cycle, since every body will react to it a little bit differently.

And yes, abortion pills, AKA a medical abortion, are safe to use. You can read more about them, and about abortion options more generally, in these two pieces: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/preg ... l_abortion, All About Abortion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic