Feminist self-care?

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
bestsundaydress
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Feminist self-care?

Unread post by bestsundaydress »

Hi everyone,

So I have been trying to put self-care into practise lately but one thing I really struggle with as a (feminine!) woman is self-care in terms of appearance. A lot of websites I've read encourage either completely indulging in your appearance (embracing your sexuality, taking selfies, etc) or the other extreme which is like, listening to what you think is negative about your appearance and accepting it without observance. I see the value of all those things but in a patriarchal society which a) teaches women to seek approval 100% from men and b) shames us for being vain I feel like the first option feeds into a false sense of empowerment (bc it still satisfies the whole "women should be valued for what we look like) and the second option is downright impossible. How do other women/non binary people deal with this? Do you guys find it difficult too?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Feminist self-care?

Unread post by Heather »

I think it's helpful, with things like this, to remember that self-care can include self-pampering, but that's only one kind of self-care. And it's not like there is anything wrong with pampering AND doing other kinds of self-care: they needn't be mutually exclusive! Same goes with how you seem to be seeing this presented, as nothing but two poles without anything in between.

Too, I think it's helpful to remember that your outsides aren't just about other people. For a lot of people, if not most, engaging in pampering and grooming isn't just about sexuality or others, it's also about appreciating your own body for all your own reasons, and enjoying the experience of that body all for yourself.

As an example, I take selfies sometimes of my hair as it's going grey that I rarely share with anyone, because that's really only about me and me enjoying recording that change and process, for myself (not because I think it's not okay my hair is going grey). That's about appearances in a lot of ways, but it's not about sex or about men or about anyone else but me and my own experience of being in my body.

Am I missing the boat here? I feel like there's some piece of your question I may not be getting.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Keda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always nice, I just sometimes hide it well
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: Wibbly wobbly sexy wexy

Unread post by Keda »

I think you can recognise and accept that some of the things that make you feel good - like making yourself look in a way which matches up with your idea of attractive - are socially conditioned, without negating the value that they have in terms of making you feel good. One of the things self-care is actually about is forgetting about external pressures and expectations and focusing on yourself: I think that can definitely include indulging in things that you know are problematic, but which you enjoy anyway. The fact is that all of our preferences are socially conditioned, some in very negative ways, but the best way of challenging the structures which bring that about isn't to deny yourself everything you like on the basis that you shouldn't like it.

This very much ties into choice feminism, and the old adage that it's feminist of a woman to spend her time barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, as long as that's happening because she has freely decided that that's what she wants out of life. I do understand the point of more radical feminists who argue that making those kinds of choices is inherently unfeminist because no-one can make such a choice independently in a patriarchal society which has taught us to make that choice; but my feeling is that any time you start policing women's autonomy in the name of feminism, you've gone astray.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

All the slow claps for Keda! Preach! :D
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Yes to all of what Heather and Keda have said. If you think it might help to do some reading around this, I know that Roxane Gay has a few essays on pretty much exactly this topic, and more, in her book Bad Feminist. It's pretty new, and touches on a lot of different issues, but there is a thread running through a lot of the pieces about letting ourselves enjoy things that we know are problematic.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic