Vaginal bump??

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
ballerina99
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I've been told I'm a great hugger
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Vaginal bump??

Unread post by ballerina99 »

So recently I've started masturbating. I just stimulate the clitoris mostly, not a huge fan of penetration. Today I was in the shower and I noticed a small (size of a largish pimple) pinkish bump on the inside of my vagina. It's on the inside lip type things (Idk what they are called sorry that's embarrassing). It's not painful really unless I push on it. What could it be? I've never had any sort of sex or even kissed anybody. Could this be an std? I had some sort of semi painful bump on the outside of my mouth a couple months ago. Is it the same thing? Id rather not have to tell my mom about this because I'd rather she not know I've been masturbating.
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Vaginal bump??

Unread post by al »

Hi ballerina99,

First of all, good for you for noticing something new happening with your body! It's a really good thing when people pay attention to any changes going on down there, so that they can take care of themselves if a problem arises. In terms of those "inside lip things", you're probably referring to the "labia minora" - you can read up on all about those parts and names here: Innies & Outies: The Vagina, Clitoris, Uterus and More. Not knowing the technical name is nothing to be embarrassed about!
In terms of what that little bump is, we can't really diagnose things because we're not there with you and we're not doctors, but if you've never had any sexual contact, it's very unlikely that it's an STD. It could be one of many things, including a small cyst or a pimple, and in a lot of cases, those things can go away on their own. If it were to stick around for a long time or get worse, then it might be time to see a healthcare provider about it. In that case, do you think it would be possible to talk to your mother about it without bringing up masturbation?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
ballerina99
not a newbie

If it gets worse I'll definitely have to tell her, I just don't want her to ask like if I've been masturbating or something. Maybe she won't, but if she did I wouldn't want to lie to her, but I also don't want her to know.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It'd be very unusual for a doctor to ask about masturbation, since it's not something that tends to influence someone's health. But by all means, if you don't have a sexual healthcare provider you feel comfortable with, we can certainly help you look for one where you are.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
ballerina99
not a newbie

Oh so you mean that it is unlikely that masturbating caused this bump? Also what other reasons could it possibly be there?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

We can't really know what caused the bump, although like al said there's a decent chance it's something like a zit. Those can be caused by things like irritation or rubbing, even just from day to day stuff like walking around, or having a little bit of gunk get down there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic