Can birth control make you skip a period?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
blueberrie7
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Can birth control make you skip a period?

Unread post by blueberrie7 »

Hi, I recently started using birth control pills, Reclipsen. I decided to start them about 2 days before my period was due and I am now 6 days late (my period is usually no more than 3-4 days late.) I have not had unprotected sex, but I have OCD and this makes me anxious. I have also been experiencing period-like precramps and back pains this past week, as I usually do before my period, but it never arrived. Can birth control delay your period if you take it before it's supposed to start? Thanks for your help!
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Can birth control make you skip a period?

Unread post by Johanna »

Welcome to Scarleteen, blueberrie. One of the most common side effects of starting hormonal birth control is irregular bleeding or missed periods. While starting the pill on the first day of a period may mean that your body will get used to it more quickly, it's not a guarantee. Some irregular bleeding is pretty much going to be something you need to expect to happen when you start hormonal birth control. Generally, you can expect for your body to take about three months to get used to the hormones, and then your periods should be regular again.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
blueberrie7
Sexual identity: straight

Re: Can birth control make you skip a period?

Unread post by blueberrie7 »

Thanks so much for your help & fast reply, Johanna! : )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic