[Self-Care] - Feel good or silly movies

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Choka
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Nothing much...
Primary language: French
Pronouns: He/him

[Self-Care] - Feel good or silly movies

Unread post by Choka »

Hello! :)

I don't know if this kind of post is allowed in this section, but reading the Self-Care article and being a cinephile, I was wondering what was your movies that you watch when you are feeling down to cheer you up? Movies that are beautiful, funny or "so bad they're good"? I would love to discover new movies to watch in case I'm not feeling well (and maybe you want too :) )

So here's my pick:

The twelve tasks of Astérix (1976)

Astérix is a Gaul fighting again and again the Romans, helped with his best friend Obélix and their dog Dogmatix - this time, they have to accomplish twelve tasks to prove that their small village is still stronger than all the Roman Empire, lead by Julius Ceasar. Based on the French comic of the same name.

The Truman show (1998)

One of my favourite film in general. Jim Carrey is just outstanding in it and I always loved the message: you're the director of your own life. Powerful and poetic.

Moonraker (1979)

(Or any Bond with Roger Moore). Bond goes into space. With lasers. The craziest Bond adventure, cheesy but really funny.

Delusions of Grandeur (La Folie des Grandeurs) (1971)

When I'm really feeling down, I can't do without Louis de Funès. In this one, De Funès is playing a tax collector who tries to retrieve his job and the King's trust with the help of his valet.

Batman '66 (1966)

Nothing can really describe the mess in this film - really far from the actual definition of Batman. But for the 60s movie sets, the acting, the "Bat-Ladder", "Anti-Shark Bat-Spray" and so on, it can really make you laugh.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: [Self-Care] - Feel good or silly movies

Unread post by Heather »

I love when other movie geeks show up here. :) WAHOO FOR ME!

I have so many of these, but here are just a few I think might be particularly comforting with the state of things in the world rightabout now.

Night of the Comet (1984): Two Valley Girls save the whole world. It is both awful and alarmingly charming and ridiculous. But also, we could use a couple Valley Girls to save the world these days. Was a fave when it came out, still is.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001): I just already watched this for the I-don't-even-know-how-many time. It is an anthem, and it feels like one.

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (1997): Because I'm the Rhoda, and my best friend is ALWAYS the Mary.

Cinema Paradiso (1988): Because it's one of the most beautiful films ever made, in every respect, but it also gives me a catharsis through film that is, itself about, at its core, the love of the movies. :)

P.S. Moonraker was the first movie where I was allowed, with my younger step-brother, to go to the movies alone without any adults. It sure was a very strange choice for that first.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Choka
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Nothing much...
Primary language: French
Pronouns: He/him

Unread post by Choka »

I'm adding all these movies to my "To Watch" list. I haven't seen any of these movies yet, but judging by the way you present them, I've missed some gems :)

(Moonraker was my first Bond - I became a huge Bond-nerd after that. This sure is a weird start :) )
wintergreen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i write sometimes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: lesbian, dyke

Unread post by wintergreen »

I personally love Victor Victoria(I think it was 1983) because Julie Andrews is brilliant and it's a frank, open and funny movie. The aesthetics are really beautiful. It takes place in 1930's France, and while it deals with heavy issues it also is light, funny and (again with Julie Andrews) has some of the most beautiful vocals.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Awww yessss, I love giving movie recommendations

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: Jane Russell and Marylin Monroe in a buddy comedy/ roadtrip movie complete with musical numbers. Also a great movie about friendship between women.

The Addams Family/ Addams Family Values: Weird, sweet, and funny
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Oscar (1991)... is so good. I just love the costumes and the farcical plot and Tim Curry and everything.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

What an awesome thread!

Some feel-good movies I love: Midnight in Paris, Amelie, the Princess Diaries, and In a World. I'm also embarrassed to admit Eat Pray Love is a guilty pleasure...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic