guys and periods

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

guys and periods

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

I don't know if this is in the right part of the boards. I don't even know if I should or can be asking this, but can you guys possibly consider articles, series etc on periods from a guy's perspective? like, I understand that the majority if not all of things relating to menstruation are only regarding the girl or woman in question, and I think it would be important to address what to do as, say the boyfriend of one of these people, for example. This is probably a complex issue that requires a lot of just talking between people, so I don't think any piece here could help much with that. This is just an idea. Thank you again Scarleteen staff for all the great hard work you do
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: guys and periods

Unread post by Redskies »

I feel a little lost about what you might be looking for here. Are there ways in which you don't feel filled in by our current content on periods? It's centred on folk who have or will have periods, sure, but it's absolutely intended for all people, whether or not they menstruate.

As for what to do, I'm not sure that there are many universals, as people have different experiences and different needs - I think you're onto something with talking to the actual people involved :) I'm not sure it's all that complex, but I certainly grasp how it could seem like it for many cis guys - it's certainly common for young cis guys to be "protected" (!) from everything and anything to do with menstruation, so it's not surprising if cis guys feel very lost or like it's very opaque. We're happy to talk with you about any of it, in general or around any particular person in your life you're thinking of, if you like.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

I don't really know, and no, no one in particular, It was just sort of random curiosity
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Okay, but sounds like you have some idea of what you want here, like where you say "what to do." What to do about what? It's pretty impossible for us to create specific content someone is asking for if we can't know what they want or what they are not finding in our existing content (like what is missing for you in the content we have on menstruation, which also isn't usually gender-specific anyway).

Help us out by trying to be a bit more clear? :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

hmmm, I don't have much experience with it personally that's motivating me, but like ways to help, information as a loved one of someone with a vagina going through a period. I know that you can't say "what to do", and what I'm asking for really is like a "possible things to do for SOs/family/friends going through 'that time'" type article, that still keeps reiterating that it's best to just talk about it and it's different for everyone
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

or maybe I'm rambling on about nothing
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

I may be way off base here, so please do correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I think some of what I'm hearing in your question is the idea that periods are A Very Big Deal for the people who get them, and something that uterus-having folks need a lot of support around. Which, absolutely, for some people is true: for example, there are people who do have very painful periods to the point where they are unable to go about their daily lives as usual, or folks who experience severe mood changes at various points in their cycles, but I'd say for most people who have them, periods are just a thing that happens, that we manage without too much fuss. And, when support or help is needed from someone close to us, what form we want that to take is very individual, so the only solid advice we can give that would be broadly applicable is to ask the person having the period what they want and need from you, if anything.

Does that help clear any of this up for you?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

yes, and I admit I didn't really have anything specific in mind with my original post. Most of the stuff you mentioned I'd already heard here and elsewhere and understood, but I think I still subconsciously had this idea you talk about of it being a "very big deal" I didn't really need any help with any particular circumstance, and I was just sort of typing out my immediate unstructured thoughts.
Sorry if I wasted your time, confused you, was insensitive etc.
You guys probably have to deal with a lot of people like me on a daily basis, so thank you for listening even when I was unsure of what I was saying
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

We often ask users to clarify questions so we can give the most applicable advice possible (too, we know that sometimes using text based communication can lead to things needing clarification). So, no worries on asking this question, and hopefully Karyn's response helped with some of it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic