Scarleteen Artist Thread!

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Peonies
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can raise plants from the dead
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: cis female

Scarleteen Artist Thread!

Unread post by Peonies »

I had a great time talking with you all about art on the old boards, so here I am making a new art thread! Open to any type of artist here, whether it be visual art, music, writing, film, dance...all things creative! What type of art do you make? Who are some of your favorite artists in your genre? (i.e. visual artists could have a certain painter, sculptor or photographer, musicians could have a favorite singer/composer, filmmakers a favorite director etc...) What inspires you? Just some thoughts to get the thread going! Feel free to contribute whatever you like.
Formerly CraftyKid
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Scarleteen Artist Thread!

Unread post by Mo »

Does fiber art count as art? I'm going to say it does. I've been a crocheter for over a decade but when I learned to knit three or four years ago I really got into it (partly because it's easier on my bad wrists). I don't design patterns of my own at this point, but I really enjoy figuring out the right color and texture of yarn for a project. I made a Beekeeper's Quilt assembled from around 270 pieces that I made over the course of two years, and piecing it together in a pleasing arrangement was a lot of fun. I'd mostly used remnants and scrap yarn, some gifted to me from friends, so it had a patchwork-quilt appearance.
I don't know that I have favorite artists - I don't know any celebrity knitters! - but I am inspired by some friends who are several levels more skilled than I am and have encouraged me as I've taken on harder lace projects lately. And I love the shaping and colorwork of the Leethal Knits patterns.
Peonies
not a newbie

Unread post by Peonies »

Mo yes fiber arts absolutely counts! I am a fiber arts fan myself :)

That is really cool what you did with the quilt, I took a "contemporary quilting" workshop a few years ago at a local art museum and loved it. I also combine a lot of my crochet work with my paintings.

What are your favorite things to knit?
Formerly CraftyKid
Mo
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Mo »

I've just started making shawls, including a fairly intricate lace one, so right now that's my favorite. But I'm working on improving my skills a lot lately, so I think any sort of challenge is welcome! I've enjoyed making some simple socks and am looking forward to trying out some of the more complicated sock patterns I've been collecting.
Peonies
not a newbie

Unread post by Peonies »

Mo wrote:I've just started making shawls, including a fairly intricate lace one, so right now that's my favorite. But I'm working on improving my skills a lot lately, so I think any sort of challenge is welcome! I've enjoyed making some simple socks and am looking forward to trying out some of the more complicated sock patterns I've been collecting.

I love that intricate lace look, I am not there yet but I am working to it! One thing I haven't made yet is socks, but I think that would be a good thing for me to start on for fall. Are you also the one on here who made the condom cozy? Lol - if so you inspired me and I made one too!
Formerly CraftyKid
Casey
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make pretty websites and apps
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Casey »

I like to knit and crochet, as well. :) My favorite thing to make is dog sweaters, but I also love hats, scarves, shawls, gloves, blankets (I have an ongoing crochet bedspread I started on the road trip to my brother's wedding 3 years ago). I also like to draw with colored pencil or pastels, but I am not very good.

I am a UX developer, and I have always considered that my art, as well. My development for this website is an ongoing art project :D

CraftyKid, how do you combine your crochet with your paintings?
Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper
Casey
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make pretty websites and apps

Unread post by Casey »

Mo, are you doing the intricate lace in knit or crochet? Lace looks amazing, and like it's pretty hard to do!
Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper
Mo
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Mo »

CraftyKid: YES, I made the condom cozy! I'm so happy to know I inspired you to make one too. I had a lot of fun with that.

Casey: I'm knitting lace right now. I haven't done as much crocheting lately but I'd be interested to see what crocheted lace patterns are like. I have a friend who makes crocheted lace but does it using thread, which is waaay too tiny for me to comfortably work with.
Peonies
not a newbie

Unread post by Peonies »

Casey wrote:I like to knit and crochet, as well. :) My favorite thing to make is dog sweaters, but I also love hats, scarves, shawls, gloves, blankets (I have an ongoing crochet bedspread I started on the road trip to my brother's wedding 3 years ago). I also like to draw with colored pencil or pastels, but I am not very good.

I am a UX developer, and I have always considered that my art, as well. My development for this website is an ongoing art project :D

CraftyKid, how do you combine your crochet with your paintings?
That's a cute idea to make dog sweaters. Do you make them for your dog(s) or others or both? I know a couple of dogs at our local animal rescue that have mange and need to wear sweaters/coats in the colder months, they sure could use some there!

And it's really cool that you work on this site, it looks great :D

I normally use a lot of fabric with my paintings in a collage type format, or I use thin transparent fabric as overlays on top of my paintings. I crochet spider web type things and drape them over my paintings or sew them on in parts. :P
Formerly CraftyKid
Peonies
not a newbie

Unread post by Peonies »

Mo wrote:CraftyKid: YES, I made the condom cozy! I'm so happy to know I inspired you to make one too. I had a lot of fun with that.
It was such a fun idea, I had to do it! My partner loves it too :mrgreen:

What color(s) yarn did you use? I had some leftover rainbow colored yarn I used to make a hat for a friend and I thought it would be suitable for a condom cozy!
Formerly CraftyKid
Mo
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Mo »

Mine is mostly a bright hot pink with a grey stripe in it.
Demigoddess
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm incredibly passionate about my activism!
Sexual identity: Demisexual

Unread post by Demigoddess »

I knit and crochet (or try to, at least!)
I also enjoy water colors, sculpting, digital art, and probably tons more stuff! A little bit of everything, really! I wish I was better at knitting/crocheting, though! It's hard for me to do simple stitches still!
Kaizen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I've kept a journal for thirteen years so far

Unread post by Kaizen »

My mom taught me to crochet (just single and double) when I was a lot younger. Last winter someone discovered the doll blanket I'd been working on, so I took it back to college with me and finished it. Then I bought a book of fancy stitches, planning (my mom's suggestion) to make squares of different stitches and sew them together, but I liked the first one I learned how to do so much that I'm making a scarf instead. (It took about five tries and some tears to get it to work, since I kept skipping chain stitches I shouldn't've been skipping when I made the first row of crochet, but once I got it going it looks great, a slight ripple with two puffs nestled together at each point.)

After this, my sister wants me to make her a headwarmer. I found some patterns online but they look hard... so I guess we'll see once I finish with the scarf!
Hypochondriac17
not a newbie

Unread post by Hypochondriac17 »

I'm afraid there's nothing I know about knitting :-( But I'm an amateur writer. I have been writing for the past 4 years, since I was about 12. I started out with poetry, and soon progressed to critical essays and articles on a plethora of social and cultural topics. I've also written short stories spanning multiple fields, written and directed a couple of college plays, and I'm currently working on an a collection of short thrillers that I plan to publish under a pseudonym. Some day. I was inspired by a class of writers in the genre of fictional thrillers; The way their exciting portrayal of stories could make you transcend space and time, and for a moment or two, forget about the hard realities of life.

Also, I love music; I play two instruments- the guitar and the flute. Although I'm not extremely good at them, I do enjoy it.
kiki0802
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my ability to look past my pain
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: i am a heterosexual girl

Unread post by kiki0802 »

i am a dancer, i have been in gymnastics and dance lessons for as long as i can remember. i am also way into theatrical arts, like plays and musicals
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic