Would A GYN be able to tell if I was recently abused?

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm smart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Would A GYN be able to tell if I was recently abused?

Unread post by 8888 »

So I was sexually abused as a child by a man. That's about all I know. Sometimes I worry I'm still being abused. I wonder if it is my father and since I still live with him if he could still be hurting me. Would a gynecologist be able to tell if he raped me recently? I mean I guess there could be scars. But what if there is not? I have mental illness too so sometimes I wonder if I am just hallucinating or something.
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Would A GYN be able to tell if I was recently abused?

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi 8888,

I am so sorry you have gone and are going through this. When you say you worry if you are still being abused, what do you mean? What makes you unsure (or sure)?
I read in some of your previous posts that you have a doctor you see and are on medication, have you talked to your doctor about this abuse? And are you seeing any sort of therapist or counselor?
In regards to a gynecologist, there is no yes or no answer to that question. Is there a specific reason you are asking? (I ask so that we can hopefully help you answer or solve that instead)
I'm not sure how well this article may apply to your situation or not, but it sounds like, regardless, you may not be in a place of safety. I would encourage you to give this a read: The Scarleteen Safety Plan

I am glad you reached out to us and I hope we can help support you through out all of this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic