What does trust feel like?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

What does trust feel like?

Unread post by Sam W »

Something we talk about a lot when it comes to relationships (both with romantic or sexual partners, but also with friends and family) is the idea that a healthy relationship involves trust.

But what does that trust actually look like in practice, and what does it feel like to you? What have been signs to you that someone was trustworthy?
Keda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always nice, I just sometimes hide it well
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: Wibbly wobbly sexy wexy

Re: What does trust feel like?

Unread post by Keda »

To me a big part of it is being comfortable with doing and saying things wrong, and not needing to worry about my partner's reaction. Believing (and being right) that I can take emotional risks, and that she'll respond gently and with understanding even if it all goes wrong, is something I haven't really experienced before to this degree, but it's wonderful.
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: What does trust feel like?

Unread post by Ashleah »

For me, trust is my sense of security. It's feeling safe with my partner and believing that I am a consideration in the decisions they make (in regards to our relationship). It is feeling comfortable with our relationship at all times.

I think it much easier to tell if I person is not trustworthy. But either way paying attention to the way that you feel in the relationship. If you are constantly worried, constantly readjusting boundaries, and constantly feeling the need to check-in then I would say that trust is not there (and sometimes that can be bc a person has trust issues).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic