Clarification on two of your articles

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like cats
Pronouns: She/her or They/Them

Clarification on two of your articles

Unread post by Ihatemyusername »

I'm a lurker so I feel like I learned a lot from this site but every so often I find something thing seems to contradict other things I have read. So I can make informed decisions I just wanted to clarify something.

"You have a pregnancy risk if ejaculate comes in contact with your genitals. It doesn't matter how it gets there: it can be directly by penis, or via hands or sheets, on the latter, sperm can remain active for half an hour, tops."

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimat ... tml#000002

They [sperm] need the properties of semen in order to move. Another way of looking at it is that if the semen makes any stops between a penis and vagina, such as on your hands or a piece of clothing, the sperm can’t then move from there to the vagina, even if the area where they landed touches the vulva (outside of the vagina) or inside the vagina itself.”

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/clairep/ ... g_freakout

Wouldn't these statements go against each other? One says ejaculate from sheets is direct contact and could pose a risk. The other quote says TBD same shhet could be IN your vagina and not pose any risk.

I know your policy on pregnancy scares questions and this isn't thst, but I do want to be accurately informed before doing anything that could be considered "risky." Something if there is a discrepancy or I'm misunderstanding something, please explain it to me, I would appreciate it.
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie

Re: Clarification on two of your articles

Ihatemyusername wrote:I'm a lurker so I feel like I learned a lot from this site but every so often I find something thing seems to contradict other things I have read. So I can make informed decisions I just wanted to clarify something.

"You have a pregnancy risk if ejaculate comes in contact with your genitals. It doesn't matter how it gets there: it can be directly by penis, or via hands or sheets, on the latter, sperm can remain active for half an hour, tops."

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimat ... tml#000002

They [sperm] need the properties of semen in order to move. Another way of looking at it is that if the semen makes any stops between a penis and vagina, such as on your hands or a piece of clothing, the sperm can’t then move from there to the vagina, even if the area where they landed touches the vulva (outside of the vagina) or inside the vagina itself.”

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/clairep/ ... g_freakout

Wouldn't these statements go against each other? One says ejaculate from sheets is direct contact and could pose a risk. The other quote says the same sheet could be IN your vagina and not pose any risk.

I know your policy on pregnancy scares questions, and this isn't that, but I DO want to be accurately informed before doing anything that could be considered "risky." So, if there is a discrepancy or I'm misunderstanding something, please explain it to me, I would appreciate it.
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie

Sorry I didn't mean to double (triple) post. I was trying to fix some typos.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

The basic answer is that the first post is from 2003, while the second is from two years ago. The second post is based on the most recent, scientifically backed information on how pregnancy happens. Somewhere in the last ten years, the understanding of just what sperm are capable of has changed.
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie

That's good that you keep up to date. Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic