STIs and casual sex

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

STIs and casual sex

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

if, in a theoretical situation one was going to engage in casual sex with let's just say an acquaintance or something, what would be the protocol for STI testing?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: STIs and casual sex

Unread post by Heather »

Really, the protocols for reducing risks of STI transmission are the same for all kinds of relationships and sexual interactions. In other words, they aren't any different for, say, a one-night stand than they are for people who have been together in an exclusive relationship for a year. That's because the STI risks aren't all that different across kinds of relationships or interactions most of the time.

And testing isn't something we just do -- or do at all -- after specific sexual encounters, again, of any kind, unless we have a new concern about a possible STI -- or want PReP for a possible HIV risk, though that's not testing -- so much as something we should all do as a regular habit, like going to the dentist. So, on average, the protocol is ideally that you and everyone else get tested, usually around once a year, or more often if you switch partners more often, and always do that throughout your life.

Make sense?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
BaastanJeff
not a newbie
Pronouns: He

Unread post by BaastanJeff »

As far as you want to take the protocol for STI testing... but in most cases of casual sex, asking them to take an STI test will take the "casual" out of it, for sure.

However, at least with me. I observe the area, make sure they don't have a real crazy, loose past, and wear a condom. And cross my fingers and hope for the best!
BaastanJeff
not a newbie
Pronouns: He

Unread post by BaastanJeff »

But it's your life and your body... if you'd rather be more careful than the way I approach it, please do.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I observe the area, make sure they don't have a real crazy, loose past, and wear a condom. And cross my fingers and hope for the best!
I don't know what a "crazy, loose past" is, but this sounds like slut-shaming to me.

Someone's sexual history also often doesn't tell us anything about their likely STI status unless - whether they have had but one partner or 301 - they tell us they never or rarely use safer sex and don't get tested. As well, even sexual healthcare professionals can't tell STIstatus just by looking at someone. Most STIs are asymptomatic, so we are rarely going to be able to tell when we or others have an STI by looking.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic