Implantation Bleeding?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
elephantmilk
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Implantation Bleeding?

Unread post by elephantmilk »

Hello everyone.
I've become quite nervous over the past few days.
Here's my menstrual cycle for this past month:
Period Start: May 04, 2015
Period End: May 10, 2015
May 08 - Had sex w/ my boyfriend, while I was on my period, wearing a condom
May 15 - Had sex w/ my boyfriend, not on my period, wearing a condom
May 20 - I had lots of clear discharge on this day.
May 22 - Had sex w/ my boyfriend, not on my period, wearing a condom
May 29 - I noticed spots of brown discharge in my panties in the afternoon, BEFORE I had sex w/ my boyfriend, wearing a condom. I had brown discharge after this, too.
May 30 - I had sticky brown discharge again. When I wipe after I pee, there's some light brown discharge on the toilet paper.
May 31 - Still having brown discharge, except now it's a bit darker.
I'm not supposed to get my period for atleast another weak.. my cycle is usually 35 days long. So I'm FREAKING out because I'm 16 and don't know if this is implantation bleeding, or if this is something normal. Thanks.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Implantation Bleeding?

Unread post by Heather »

Can you fill me in on if you and your boyfriend, either or both, are current with your sexual healthcare, including STI screenings? I ask because I want to figure out if an infection is something we need to figure could be at the root of this spotting (though to be clear, not because I think pregnancy is the other why: unless you didn't use the condoms properly, including having them on for all contact, or they failed, by breaking or slipping off, we can safely rule pregnancy out, period, let alone as something related to the brown discharge).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
elephantmilk
not a newbie

Hi Heather!
I've been checked for STI's before, and I was 100% clear. This was about 9 months ago. BUT, my current boyfriend's only sex partner ever is me- I took his virginity. So I definitely didn't give him anything because I'm clear, and he couldn't have given me anything.
I know that our condoms didn't break or slip off, we always blow them up after we're done using them to make sure that there were no breakages.
I haven't been itchy or anything.
OH, but I just got on the medicine Zoloft. I started getting the brown discharge the day after I took my first dose of Zoloft and it's been happening every day since I started taking it.
Last edited by elephantmilk on Sun May 31, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Sounds like you used condoms correctly so that lowers the chances of pregnancy a lot. But by all means if you are worried about pregnancy you can always test. That is actually the only reliable way to know if someone is pregnant or not.

About the dark discharge, it would be very hard for us to tell you why is it happening. Brown discharge only means old blood leaving the body. That's it. But if you are also worried about that, you can always check in with your health care provider in person.

Just as a side note, when we are talking about STI's we ask everyone to not use words as "clean". Having an STI doesn't equal being dirty, right? So it helps if we use words like "clear". :)
elephantmilk
not a newbie

Alright.

Could the new medicine cause this?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

The way people react to medicines can vary widely. So this is something that only your healthcare provider -- the one who prescribed this for you -- can answer. You can always call them and ask any doubts you have. Sometimes we are afraid they might think what we need to ask is not important but actually this is a very important part of their job. :)
elephantmilk
not a newbie

okay. I'm still experiencing brown discharge except it's not lighter.
how many days does implantation bleeding last? is 4 days too long?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Again, it's mighty clear pregnancy is not an issue here. When pregnancy is an issue, spotting with implantation can't be.

Again, even when pregnancy IS an issue, that is less common than more, and just involves very light, brief blood spotting that lasts a day or so, not four, not brown discharge.

If you remain concerned about this, it's time to check in with your sexual healthcare provider.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
elephantmilk
not a newbie

I'd just like to say, over two weeks later and I still do not have my period. It's been over a month since my last period now...
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

So, at this point, if you're concerned you have two options: you can check in with a sexual healthcare provider, or you can take a pregnancy test and get a clear answer that way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic