Septate Hymen

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Jellowl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm very chill and happy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Septate Hymen

Unread post by Jellowl »

Hello, a question regarding hymens.

I have been sexually active for 3 years now; had no complaints or problems during sex. However, I've known for a while that my hymen is abnormal. I haven't been to an OB yet (though I plan to sometime in the next year or so) and I believe it's a septate hymen. There is a large band of extra tissue in front of the vaginal entrance and it has two openings. The larger of the two lets me have sex without issue, though I cannot use a tampon ever as it gets stuck on the band of tissue.

Long story short; I am considering surgery to have it removed eventually. However I am terrified of anything to do with doctors, surgery, you name it. I would like to have children one day and Im scared that the band of tissue will cause issue during childbirth and possibly injure me awfully.

Is there a way to get over my nerves? Or perhaps- is it possible to have children with a septate hymen? It won't kill me, will it?
Could it wear away/tear on its own with time?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Septate Hymen

Unread post by Siân »

Hey Jellowl,

What you're describing certainly sounds like a septate hymen, though of course I can't diagnose over the internet. The plan to see a gynecologist is therefore a good one; is that something you can get to sooner rather than later?

It sounds like this is not causing major issues in the short term - either in terms of your health if menstrual fluid is still able to pass through - nor your sex life. Whilst the corona or hymen can wear away over time, I don't think you can expect it to disappear on its own.

I get that the idea of surgery can feel quite intimidating, a good gynecologist should be able to talk you through the exact process and what the pros and cons are and support you in making a decision in what's best for you right now. Would it help combat your nerves if instead of viewing making that first appointment as the first step to surgery, it was simply a fact-finding mission? Your doctor can't make you have a surgery, and by the sounds of it this is not impacting on your health right now so perhaps simply knowing more about your options would be good?

You might like these articles too:
My Corona: The Anatomy Formerly Known as the Hymen & the Myths That Surround It
Your First Gynecologist Visit

What do you think?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic