Depo-Provera and BV

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
FairyEve
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Depo-Provera and BV

Unread post by FairyEve »

I am unsure what this all means and to me, I feel it is bad? I feel a little uneducated and maybe naive to this issue.

A couple weeks ago I got the depo-provera shot, the injection itself went fine, no issues. About a week half after I began to have horrible pelvic pain and began to bleed this watery light pink colour (I have not had a period for over 2 years now from varies inducing menopausal hormonal treatment, only the odd passing a blood clot because of my endometriosis) and it was odd and I remember I panicked. It lasted 3 days then went away.

After that watery light pink episode a few days pass and I began to pass little blood clots. Every time I pee I am passing small blood clots (that fall in the toilet bowl) and I am wiping which this fleshy looking blood clots (some pink, some dark brown and bright red) and it's going on for over 2-3 weeks now with pelvic discomfort, nothing severe just annoying.

Before the injection I was on a drug called Visanne. Which I guess it is my fault around when I got the injection I had trouble remembering taking my medication, but nothing happened, like bleeding or pain that I recall? I only remember that the bad effect the injection had on me was my breasts felt like they were going to shatter right before the 3 day watery light pink bleeding.

Now, my pelvis and vagina throb and sex is becoming a bit uncomfortable no matter how much lube I am using or position. It is affecting my sex life to the point sometimes I don't mind not having sex, but it is a disappointment.

I went to see a doctor at a walk in clinic last weekend about something and she found that I had BV. I took the gel option as I was too scared to take an antibotic (recently found out penilcin could kill me if I take it) and I began to use it. I noticed the blood more as the gel was expelling out in the morning. I know the bleeding isn't related to that as the bleeding (maybe it's spotting) was happening before this gel treatment. I am done the treatment and I am still passing blood clots.

I am not sure what to do. I feel this isn't normal and I keep telling myself it will go away and give it time, my body is adjusting to the drug. But what if it's not that and something else?

The blood clot as what I can describe it, it ranges in a thick line, a small blob (maybe about a babys finger nail length) to this blob that looked the same size as a Canadian quater and dollar coin.

I passed this type of stuff (much bigger) before I started any treatment, before the Lupron injections over 2 years ago.

I am not even sure if this can be related to BV because for all I know, maybe I had BV a week or two before and never knew before seeing a doctor about something else (I thought I tore myself badly and was bleeding in that area and I was concerned) and I am told I have BV. She also tested for other infections and everything came back negative, so no STI.

I really feel clueless after all the educational stuff I know about my endo, but BV and depo... I am not sure what is causing what? Is it possible for someone to explain what this is, I know I need to go back to a doctor soon, is this normal?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Depo-Provera and BV

Unread post by Heather »

This all really isn't something anyone who can't see you in person and run a battery of tests can guess at for you.

I don't even know what tests or exams were done with your BV diagnosis, so can't really even speak to what this could be but isn't. We don't even know if what you are calling blood clots are blood clots in the first place (blobs of bloody-looking things and blood clots aren't necessarily the same thing: people often assume they are).

So, I think the best way we could help you here is to do whatever we can to help get you to someone who can answer all of these questions for you. Is there anything we can do to help you get that care, whether that's about making the phone call to finding care you can get to and afford?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic