New To The Pill?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
sproutkm
Pronouns: she

New To The Pill?

Unread post by sproutkm »

Hello. I am about a week and 3 days into starting birth control for the first time. My body has been doing some weird things and I was wondering if anyone else had these types of side effects as well. I have been having what feels like menstrual cramps, on and off, varying in severity throughout the day. It has been going on ever since my last period ended, (I started the pill the following Sunday). I also have a very tight, painful lower back. I normally get back pain with periods as well but obviously, I am not on my period yet. I also noticed that i have been getting very very fatigued by the end of the day, much more so than I would be before taking the pill. I was wondering if these side effects are normal and if anyone would like to share their story about starting birth control for the first time.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: New To The Pill?

Unread post by Alice O »

hi sproutkm,

looks like you just joined--welcome to the boards!

the cramping throughout the day is most likely a part of your body adjusting to the hormone changes. which makes a lot of sense! as your body gets accustomed, the cramping should pass, but if it hasn't in a few cycles you can check in with your doctor.

i'm not knowledgeable about the connection between fatigue and starting birth control--a volunteer with more info can probably comment on that. i will say that fatigue is a tough symptom because it can be a result of so many things! i have dealt with some fatigue struggles non-birth control related. could be helpful to note if there have been any other changes (in diet? sleep schedule? stress or anxiety? etc.) aside from the birth control that may be contributing...

finally, i don't have personal experience with the pill, but i did recently get a hormonal IUD--so i too have been navigating the body changes that can come with new birth control. for me it's been some cramping, but mostly a lot of bleeding. it feels both weird, and kinda cool, to see how my body is responding to this new thing living in my uterus!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: New To The Pill?

Unread post by Redskies »

Hi sproutkm,

it's very common for people starting a hormonal birth control to get some kinds of side effects, and like al1234 said, it's because your body is adjusting. Everyone's body is very individual and responds in its own way, so different people have lots of different experiences.

If the pains you're having feel the same or very similar to the ones you usually have with your periods, it's very likely to do with the hormonal adjustment your body is doing, and no cause for concern. If you have very bad pain at any time, though, or these pains get worse, or you have any pain that seems very strange for you and concerns you, it'd be a good idea to check in with a doctor just to make sure, because bad abdomen or lower back pain should always be checked out.

Usually, side effects improve massively or clear up completely within the first few cycles. The usual advice is to wait it out for three cycles so that your body has a chance to settle down and adjust properly, otherwise you and your healthcare provider can't know how your body would respond in the longer-term. Of course, if you're having side-effects within that time that you really can't bear or that are really concerning you, you can absolutely go back to your healthcare provider and ask for their advice. If you're still having side-effects that you don't like after three cycles, it's a very idea to ask your healthcare provider about it. There are lots of slightly different formulations of the pill, and sometimes different people's bodies get along better with one formulation than they do another. Too, sometimes people find that their body prefers a different method. It's pretty common for people to need to do a little bit of trial-and-error to find the birth control that's best for your body.

In the meantime, per the cramps and fatigue: your best move is probably to take as much care of your physical health as you can. Things like getting the right amount of sleep in as regular a pattern as you can, drinking enough liquids, nourishing your body as well as you can, giving your body enough movement. It's not quite the same situation, but some of the general health suggestions in Stamp Out Cramps! can help when dealing with menstrual hormone-related issues. Do you already use a heating pad?- they can really help with crampy pain!

Does that help you out some? Do you have any further concerns or questions we can help you with? :)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic