Contraceptive pill

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Yoda90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Contraceptive pill

Unread post by Yoda90 »

I've been taking the contraceptive pill for about 5 months, it's called Levest and I take 21 then there's a 7 day break.

But during my period I get unbelievable cramps!! Before being on birth control I didn't have cramps ever. I discussed it with a nurse and she said I probably haven't got used to it, that it takes 3 months to get used to it. So we decided I'd do another 3 months but there's been no change.

I'm not sure what to do, not sure what's best for me. I don't think I'd like any alternatives to a pill. Maybe the injection but I've been told that I'd be stuck with side effects (whereas on a pill you can just stop taking them if you want). I'm just afraid of having any other side affects or feeling worse, but I must do something about these cramps. They used to last for just a day before my period but now they're lasting throughout my period. could it be because without the pill I would never get cramps? I used to feel so lucky for not having too much trouble with my periods, haha!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Contraceptive pill

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Yoda,

Have you updated the healthcare provider you spoke to about the fact that the cramps are still really severe?

If you're really not liking this pill, you could talk to your healthcare provider about switching pill brands to see if another one works better. You could also take a look at this article and walk through it to see if there's a lesser known form of birth control that better fits your needs: Birth Control Bingo!
Yoda90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Unread post by Yoda90 »

Hi :)
Not yet, I was waiting to see if I had adjusted to it but I think it's clear that it's not changing, I'll visit very soon.

Thanks for linking me to the article I'll check it out!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! And yep, I'd suggest making a new appointment to check in with them about your options.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic