Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Missed Depo Shot, Pregnancy Symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed Depo Shot, Pregnancy Symptoms?
ripaniylah0108
Neophyte
Member # 36857

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ripaniylah0108     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my first deprovera shot on october 19, 2007. I didnt bleed for the whole 3 months. I was due for my 2nd shot January 11th. I never went for my shot and I was not put on any other type of birth control. My boyfriend and I have unprotected sex at least 4 times a week. On January 13th, I had a reddish-brown discharge for only that day, which i thought was my period about to start, it never did and still hasn't. The next week on the 22nd i took a pregnancy test (i had been pregnant before and I know about implantation bleeding) and it was negative. We continued to have unprotected sex and ever since the 28th my nipples have been really sore/tender to the touch. I was concerned because with my previous i also experienced this. But i was wondering if it could be because of the Deprovera shot. Please help me. Thank you in advance.
Posts: 2 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there. Welcome to Scarleteen.

The depo provera shot is intended to be taken every 12 weeks. You are protected from pregnancy if you are up to two weeks late (14 weeks since the last shot), but that's it. You are now past that point; you are no longer being protected from pregnancy by the depo provera.

The spotting you had is not at all uncommon with depo provera. This is a VERY common side effect of the shot. There is no reason for you to think you might be pregnant due to this.

If you are wanting to prevent pregnancy, why are you continuing to have unprotected sex? If the birth control shot isn't working for you, you have many other options, including condoms (which also protect against sexually transmitted infections!), diaphragms and the pill. If you want to continue w/ the shot, you need to make sure to get to your doctors appointments on time.

Have you discussed birth control and possible pregnancy with your partner? How does he feel about this?

Check it out;
Depo Provera
Margaret Sanger's Disneyland: Choosing Contraceptives
What's the Risk? Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessments

[ 02-03-2008, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caz Scott
Neophyte
Member # 36867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caz Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Someone help Pleeeeeeease

I was due for my Depo on 30th Jan and forgot (Ooops), so having had unprotected sex thursday and Sunday night, what are the chances of me not being pregnant. Am having my depo tonight. Is that right that I should be ok for another two weeks?

Many thanks in advance for a reply.

Posts: 1 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the link above -- Depo Provera.

You have a two week safety period between the time you were supposed to have your next shot and when aren't considered to be protected by the depo provera. You are still within these two weeks, so there should be no pregnancy risk here.

(In the future, please start new topics for your questions! Thanks!)

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ripaniylah0108
Neophyte
Member # 36857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ripaniylah0108     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have discussed birth control (we used condoms before i got on the shot) and we discussed pregnancy. This is something we both do not want because we are young and not ready. However, i thought that since I hadn't started my period that the deprovera was still in my system. Can you still ovulate without having your period?
Posts: 2 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.