Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Tampons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tampons
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read a post that said you shouldn't leave a tampon in if you're not on your period because of the risk of toxic shock...
What I'm wondering is, I have spotting from the birth control shot I'm on, and I've had it for about two months. (The OB/GYN said after my next shot it should stop) I find it so much easier to use tampons than pads, and when I tried menstrual cups, well I can't seem to get them in properly and it leaks.
But is it bad, if I'm not having too much bleeding to leave it in? (Some days I have bleeding enough to fill up a tampon, but some days there's hardly anything--- I just can't predict)
Being as I don't have any TSS symptoms I'm not too worried, but just for reference...

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're just spotting and your tampon is coming out mostly dry, then it's really wiser to switch to pads or cups. If you're having enough bleeding to fill it up, that's fine, but the TSS risk comes when you have a dry or partially dry tampon in for a long time.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I mean, I don't keep them in like, for a long time.. Not longer than is recommended...

But good to know, I guess I should switch then...

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were the menstrual cups you tried the Instead cups? If so, then I'm not terribly surprised you had trouble with them, most everyone I know who has tried has had trouble. Those are not really designed to fit the female anatomy terribly well. You would likely have better luck with a Diva Cup (or Keeper).

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Yeah, I tried the Instead cups... I don't know where to get the other ones... I looked all over but couldn't find them...
When I was using them, it was mostly so that my boyfriend and I could do stuff even though I was spotting, because he was kindof freaked out to do anything (even though I'm not like gushing blood, and he would hardly have been able to tell if I hadn't told him)

I only had a problem getting it in the first time, but even after I stopped having problems getting them in, it was like, it wasn't a cup--- like it didn't hold anything cuz it just kinda squished after I inserted it and it just wasn't a cup anymore-- just a weird piece of messed up plastic with a ring..., and it wasnt that it was so messy taking it out, it's just that I could tell it wasn't holding anything and that it had leaked-- only a small amount really, because i'm hardly bleeding, but it had leaked a little.

I don't know where to find the other cups though-- like, online doesn't work for me cuz i dont wanna deal with my mom asking why i need them.

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up a bloody mess when i tried the Instead Cups too [Razz]

Have you looked at the Diva Cup website? There's a store locator here

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

There are two stores in my state that sell them--- one is 175 miles away, and one is still probably 40 minutes away and in an area i never go to...

I feel silly going so far out for feminine supplies---

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some places that sell them online, if you're able to purchase stuff via the internet, as well, such as the Lunapads website, as well as others if you look around.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Yeah, but if my mom saw the charge on my card, she would ask why i couldn't just use tampons and all that (not that she has a problem with menstrual cups- she's a labor and delivery nurse, so she's all into like, women and whatever the new thing is)--- but i would have to tell her i started using them so i could do stuff with a boy without a string hanging out of me and that would be then end of my being allowed to be around any guy at all...
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, instead of bringing in the fact that you want to be sexually active during your spotting time, you can tell her that you want to try one, because of the fact they would reduce your risk for TSS and all that. I'm sure she could appreciate that, as it would be safer for you to use on your lighter days. (Although we do recommend being honest with your mom [Smile] )

[ 01-09-2008, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: ASargent42 ]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

heh, well i actually told her about the menstrual cups, and i showed her the instead cups and she was really freaked cuz they look like a diaphragm... and i said i wanted to try another kind of cup since i didnt like those and because i didnt wanna keep wearing tampons when i didn't have much of a flow---

she was somewhat receptive, but not completely
she was in a hurry though

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

can someone please please tell me the difference between all these different cups? I wanna get one, but now that i've started looking I'm so extremely confused!!!
keeper, divacup, mooncup--- I don't get it!!! are there anymore i need to be looking at--???

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick rundown:

Keeper - Distinct from the others because it's made from rubber. Some consider this a less suitable material since it doesn't last as long as can't be boiled to sterilize, though it's important to note a soap and water wash really is adequate for most cups.

Mooncup US- Keeper corp's silicone cup version of the Keeper. Features a longer stem than any cup, which some women may prefer. Some discourage buying this product from them since there's some sketchy copyright stuff between it and the Mooncup UK, which was on the market first.

DivaCup- Probably the most popular choice because it's made in North America and has a 1 year money back guarantee. Made of silicone, so it can be sanitized.

Mooncup UK- Shorter and squishier than the Divacup, which some find fits them better. Manufactured in UK, so yay smaller economy to support. Must be ordered from overseas.

Lunette - Shorter and wider than any cup. Has larger holes than any other cup for easier cleaning. Does not come in multiple sizes. Flat, flexible stem unique to it, so it doesn't poke like others. Manufactured in Finland, so hooray for even smaller economy/company to support. Must be ordered from overseas. My personal favorite.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Thanks so much, this was really helpful... I decided to go with the divacup... It was slightly expensive, but I guess in the long run, if I'm not running out to buy a million tampons, it's worth it...

By the way, that lunapads website is pretty awesome...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.