This is topic Mono and Genital Herpes in forum Ask Scarleteen at Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive).

To visit this topic, use this URL:

Posted by UnknowingAndUnexperienced (Member # 72045) on :
I was reading online about mono and I read somewhere that mono, like cold sores, is a type of herpes. So, I was wondering if it is possible for a guy who has mono to transfer that into genital herpes while he is performing oral sex on a girl. I know that mono can only be transferred through salvia, but since all of the girl's "stuff" is internal, doesn't it sound like it would happen since the guy's salvia would be inside the girl? And also, if the gender roles were switched, would it be possible for the girl to give it to the guy?
Posted by KatWA (Member # 42505) on :
Mono (mononucleosis) is usually caused by a virus called Epstein-Barr, although it can be caused by others. It is spread by saliva and close contact in general, so it is possible to transmit it through oral sex.

Sometimes cytomegalovirus (which is a member of the herpesvirus family) can cause CMV mononucleosis in individuals with lower immune systems. Most people are exposed to this virus early in life though, and don't know it because there are usually no symptoms.

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3