QUESTION

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Aarushi257
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i think i am funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

QUESTION

Unread post by Aarushi257 »

i got my period 2 days later than i usually would and
it usually lasts 4-5 days but this time has lasted 7 days.
Could this have anything to do with pregnancy?
I'm still cramping for some reason.
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Re: QUESTION

Unread post by Elise »

Hi Aarushi257,

It is normal for menstrual flow to vary from cycle to cycle, and this is true even if you have an established "regular" period generally. It sounds like you are having a heavier period than usual, and no this would not be caused by pregnancy. A period of 7 days or so is still within the average duration of a period. Cramping, too, can vary a bit. If you've been experiencing extremely heavy flow (where you have to change pads, tampons or cup more often than every few hours) this whole time or your cramps can't be addressed with over-the-counter painkillers then you should see a doctor, however that sounds like it's not the case for you in this situation.

You can read more about it in this article here: On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation
But essentially lots of factors can influence menstrual cycles, including rest, activity, how and what we eat, stress, being unwell.

Speaking of stress, you've been asking a lot of these questions about pregnancy lately, how are you doing at the moment?
Aarushi257
not a newbie

I'm still a little scared but trying to keep it together.
I'm unsure whether i should test or not after having a period or whether that would just feed into my pregnancy scare ocd, like would testing even after getting a long period be feeding into my compulsions?
cause last time was so so so bad with my compulsions.
My boyfriend's been super supportive and has been helping me through it and of course, the scarleteen website.
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Emily N »

Hey Aarushi257,
It sounds like you are thinking about when taking a pregnancy test will only increase your anxiety surrounding pregnancy instead of helping you feel more at ease, and that's really important. I'm glad you are checking in with yourself! Because it isn't possible to have a period while pregnant, your period is a reliable indicator that you aren't pregnant, and taking a pregnancy test won't really give you more information. Does that help?
Aarushi257
not a newbie

so even when women have bleeding throughout the month when they are pregnant? like i keep thinking that could be my situation and get scared you know?
i'll try to keep my anxiety in check, thank you xxxx
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Emily N »

Bleeding during early pregnancy is generally light/spotting, and isn't considered a period. It also starts after a person has missed their period, as well, which doesn't sound like what you are experiencing.
Aarushi257
not a newbie

yeah i have irregular cycles anyways tbh,
anything ranging from 31-35 days and this month, 36 days which i wouldn't consider late tbh.
So I'm going to try and stay away from testing and build my endurance to these types of scares.
I think the last scare shook me up pretty badly, i gained a lot of weight, became depressed and couldn't leave the house. I tried getting therapy but live in an unsupportive home environment and my parents weren't ready to pay for it. I'm trying my best but find these scares extremely hard to deal with tbh.
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Emily N »

I'm sorry to hear that pregnancy anxiety is affecting you so hard, and that you don't have access to therapy. You deserve a supportive environment, but I'm glad that you are giving yourself space to think about how you can help yourself feel calmer or direct away from your anxiety <3
Aarushi257
not a newbie

thanks for your help <3
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic