Foreskin

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
dq616
Awesomeness Quotient: I live somewhere unique
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Foreskin

Unread post by dq616 »

Hi, I am 14 years old, about to turn 15, last month I was able to pull back my foreskin for the first time, I was wondering why the foreskin is so tight and why when I am hard I can’t pull it back but when my penis is soft I can do so.

I was also wondering why my penis has grown so little and now that I am turning 15, should I be worried about this and should I talk to anyone?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Foreskin

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi dq616,

Some people's foreskins are just on the tighter side, so that could be what's happening for you. Too, while most people are able to fully retract their foreskin by age ten, for some people the process can last all the way through adolescence, so that could also be what's going on here. Is your foreskin, or the tightness of it, causing you any pain?

With penis size, for most people penis growth starts somewhere between ages 11 and 16, so you're right on average in terms of your own growth. If you have more worries about penis size, this article is really helpful: Shown Actual Size: A Penis Shape & Size Lowdown.
dq616

Unread post by dq616 »

It doesn’t cause me any pain but sometimes when I pull back the skin when my penis is soft my penis gets hard and the foreskin gets stuck at the bottom which can be a bit uncomfortable and quite tight
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. If you're noticing your foreskin is causing you discomfort or other issues, that might be something to a healthcare provider about.
dq616

Unread post by dq616 »

I have always been worried to talk to doctors out of embarrassment
Elise
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Unread post by Elise »

Talking to a doctor about your genitals and sex can feel really daunting the first time, it can help to remember that they are trained about this kind of thing and want to help you, and not make you feel embarrassed, in a similar kind of way to how we're able to talk to you about things here, does that make sense? It can also help to remember that you are not going to be the first, or the last person to talk to your doctor about this topic.

Whilst getting comfortable with having these conversations with a doctor will be a really great thing to be able to do for yourself, it can feel a bit more difficult talking to someone in person about this side of your health for the first time. Some things that can help are being able to speak with the doctor privately (ie. go to your appointment just yourself) and also to have a doctor you trust and get along with. If you don't feel that way with your GP, one of your friends could have a recommendation of a doctor they think is pretty good to talk to. Does any of that sound helpful to you?
dq616

Unread post by dq616 »

In the UK am I able to book an appointment on my own or does an adult have to do it?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You should be able to make an appointment on your own, although the people helping you with that process may want to know if any adults are aware that you're doing so. This article offers a really clear breakdown of how to do that in the U.K: https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advic ... ur-doctor/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic