PDA at school and COVID-19

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Hel
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Any

PDA at school and COVID-19

Unread post by Hel »

So I'm finally going back to school next week and I'm so excited! :) Regulations will be different for COVID-19, so there'll be more masks and stuff too, which is completely understandable. I'm super psyched because my boyfriend will be there at the end of next week. It's been so long since I've seen him in person. We're both so excited to see each other!

The thing is, teachers are being more strict, saying 'no hugging, no kissing at school', etc. Like, my boyfriend and I are very cautious with our PDA - last term we held hands and stuff and kissed a few times in public but because of covid we normally just do that on our dates when no one's around. And we make sure we're both tested negative for covid and stuff. But the school can't just expect me not to make out with/touch/kiss my boyfriend who I haven't seen in four months. The school wants kids to have a good mental health, right? That's a priority, and why schools are open in the first place. I don't want to be disrespectful at school, because I'm a good student and I try not to have too much 'inappropriate' behavior, especially during the pandemic. But I do want to be able to touch my boyfriend!

What are some ways where he and I can be respectful with our public displays of affection, yet be able to touch each other at school? (We can go on dates and stuff after school but sometimes we just want to act like a couple in public. Like, not making out super passionately, but little things, like him playing with my hair or us hugging briefly. Do you think those sorts of things respectful enough?)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: PDA at school and COVID-19

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Hel,

This might be one of those situations where going along with the PDA rule is a sound call, even if it feels unfair. You're right that physical touch, either with partners or with friends, is important, but I imagine the school administration is trying to be extra cautious about Covid transmission risks right now. Are there pretty clear guidelines around what kind of physical contact is or is not okay? Or is it vague?
Hel
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Any

Unread post by Hel »

I think the guidelines are true when students are at the school, so going on dates and stuff is still okay. They are generally really okay with mild PDA short hugs, hand holding, etc. But I guess it would be wiser for my boyfriend and I not to be too touchy in public - per COVID-19 regulations. Thanks for the thoughts on this.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! And yeah, as frustrating as it is, dialing back on PDA at school is probably the way to go, both for overall safety and for not getting in trouble with your teachers/administrators.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic