What is wrong with my period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hel
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Any

What is wrong with my period?

Unread post by Hel »

I've always had regular periods, but this time I barely got any blood. I always get so much I have to change pads like six times a day. I didn't even have to change a pad this time. What is wrong?

It's been about four days since I got it, and now I have horrible cramps and my legs are shaky. These symptoms have occurred the last few periods. But I still don't have any blood. I've never had sex so I know I'm not pregnant. I did masturbate several times. Did I cause my period to go away? What do I do?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What is wrong with my period?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Hel,

Most people who have periods will have some that are lighter (or heavier) than what they usually get. Masturbation doesn't have the ability to stop a period, so that's not the cause of the lighter flow. But lots of things--rest, activity, diet, stress, health changes, even a move from one place to the next --can influence how a period is in a given month.

If the cramps and shakiness are a usual part of your period, then you can assume what you're feeling now is part of that pattern. However, if you notice the cramps or shaking continues past when your period does, you may want to check in with a healthcare provider to make sure there isn't another, underlying cause.
Hel
not a newbie

Unread post by Hel »

Okay, thank you. Oddly enough, I just started bleeding more regularly. I think stress may have affected it.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It's certainly possible! I know a lot of people are under a lot of extra stress right now. I hope you can find some time to relax a bit, and that your other symptoms have gotten more manageable. :)
Hel
not a newbie

Unread post by Hel »

Thank you! Unfortunately my cramps and shakiness have stayed the same throughout the day, but I'm going to start birth control in the near future, so I hope that will help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic