Bleeding after losing virginity

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Liltimmyt
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Bleeding after losing virginity

Unread post by Liltimmyt »

I lost my virginity on Thursday and it’s now Saturday. I bled after and I thought it was my hymen breaking. But I’m still bleeding today and it’s almost like I’m on my period (but that wouldn’t make sense because I ended my last period a week ago). I have to wear a pad because I’m bleeding that much. Could it just still be from my hymen stretching or should I be concerned? Sex was painful at first but it got less painful as time went on. I wouldn’t say it felt good, more uncomfortable. Should I see my doctor? Can my general doctor test for STDs too?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Bleeding after losing virginity

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Liltimmyt,

So, we can't say for certain what's causing the bleeding, but we can help you narrow down some likely causes. If you noticed pain during sex, then it could very well be that you got a cut or tear during sex. See, what most people think of as the hymen is actually called the vaginal corona, and is a flexible membrane rather than something that gets "broken" the first time someone has vaginal sex. You can read more about that here: My Corona: The Anatomy Formerly Known as the Hymen & the Myths That Surround It. And while you're not "supposed" to bleed the first time like many people believe, if you're tense or not using enough lube you can get a small tear in the corona or other part of the vaginal canal that can lead to bleeding.

That being said, if you're bleeding so much it looks like you're on your period, then you may want to check in with a healthcare provider. Are you noticing other symptoms, like cramps or burning during urination? And did you use any kind of protection when you had sex?
Liltimmyt
not a newbie

Ok thanks for the info. I’m not noticing other symptoms. We didn’t use protection but he’s been tested for stds.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! Since the bleeding started right after sex, it's most likely related to the pain you experienced (since an STI wouldn't show immediate symptoms). But if you notice the bleeding isn't lessening or is actually getting worse, then it's time to check in with a healthcare provider.

As a side note, you may want to confirm with him if he knows which STIs he was tested for, since sometimes people think they got a full panel done when they were only tested for one or two. Too, if this is someone you're planning to be sexually active with again, you'll also want to have a conversation about Covid and the precautions you're each taking around it. Also, to make sure I'm not missing anything, did you use another form of birth control in place of a condom?
Liltimmyt
not a newbie

I’m on birth control pills and he pulled out. But you’re right I’m not sure he knew what specific testing he got. Now I’m worried.
Alexa
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: i make the world's best pancakes!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/ella
Sexual identity: queer, pansexual

Unread post by Alexa »

Hi Liltimmyt,

We don't mean to worry you; just to make sure you're aware of what to look for when getting STI tested/asking your partners about their testing history. We have an article that outlines which STIs can be detected by which tests (e.g. swab, blood): Testing, Testing.

If you're worried at all about talking about COVID with him, or what you both should be considering for COVID safety, we are definitely here to offer advice as well! <3
Alexa K.
Scarleteen Team
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic