Late second period after morning after pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hannahld
Awesomeness Quotient: funny
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she her
Sexual identity: straight

Late second period after morning after pill

Unread post by hannahld »

I had unprotected sex over a month ago. I was very very intoxicated, and so was the guy. i do not think he finished, but to be safe, i got a morning after pill. i took it in less than 12 hours. It was at the end of my cycle. I got my regular period at the expected time which was 5 days after i took the pill, and it was normal. I’m expecting my second period now, and it is late. Is it normal for the pill to throw your menstrual cycle off, because of such a high dose? that is what i have read. i’m very concerned and worried and i cant stop thinking about it. I need reassurance please.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Late second period after morning after pill

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi hannahld,

Yes, a common side effect of emergency contraception is cycle irregularity, so that may very well be what's going on here. Too, if you want to confirm you're not pregnant, the way to do that is to take a pregnancy test.

I do want to check, have you gotten an STI test since this incident? Or did you two know each other's STI status prior to having sex?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic