I'm sick of transphobia

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
0PT1M15T1C
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can build things
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/He
Sexual identity: I don't really know anymore

I'm sick of transphobia

Unread post by 0PT1M15T1C »

I guess I just need to vent, and the title says a lot of that.

CW - violence against trans people, including murder.

It's insane, I can't get an accurate number, but I'm seeing 19 transgender murders in the US this year, apparently 9 in just the last 10 days.

Dustin Parker, Monika Diamond, Neulisa Luciano Ruiz, Yampi Méndez Arocho, Lexi (who's last name seems to be impossible to find), Serena Angelique Velázquez Ramos, Johanna Metzger, Layla Pelaez Sánchez, Penélope Díaz Ramírez, Nina Pop, Helle Jae O’Regan, Tony McDade, Dominique “Rem'mie” Fells, Riah Milton, Jayne Thompson, Selena Reyes-Hernandez, Brayla Stone - she was only 17 years old. Seventeen. Merci Mack. All in 2020, it's only July, the 2nd of July.

I'm tired of reading the names of people like me who were killed for being who they are, people that should have done great things.

I'm tired of how normal it is to be discriminated against because of your gender identity, I don't know a single trans person that hasn't faced violence simply because they are trans. I'm currently in the process of pressing charges for a hate crime, but so many people don't get the chance to do so. I hate going out and fearing whether someone will figure out that I am trans, because that makes me a target. I hate how I'm seen as different, or being asked personal questions constantly about my body or my views. My body is the centre of jokes, and when I go into locker rooms I'm asked how big the guys are, as if I'm going looking.

I just shouldn't have to be scared because of my identity, neither should my friends. I should be able to exist without the fear of how a partner may react, or when I'm outed what those strangers will think. When faced with the facts, and how often those perpetrators get away, it's terrifying.

In my province, we have Jason Kenney who has tried to make it okay for schools to out students in GSAs, bring back conversion therapy, joked and bragged about denying AIDS patients the ability to see their partners, as well as much more. I look at the US and I see the ability to refuse care to trans people, Idaho banning trans kids to play sports on the team that they identify with, and taking away protections for LGBT people.

I hope this was okay, I just can't help but be angry at what's happening.
You have the power to say "This is not how my story will end".
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: I'm sick of transphobia

Unread post by Siân »

Hey there OPT1M15T1C,

I get that this is a vent post, and so I figure you're not really looking for much of a response here but I want you to know that we hear you, we're here for you, and sometimes anger is totally reasonable <3
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: I'm sick of transphobia

Unread post by Mo »

It really is exhausting, and it's understandable that you're angry! All of this makes me pretty angry too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic