How are you staying connected?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

How are you staying connected?

Unread post by Mo »

Now that we're several months into social distancing and a general stay-at-home vibe, how are your relationships with friends, family, or partners doing when you can't see them in person? Have you been able to establish some sort of routine way to keep in touch with people you'd usually be hanging out with a couple times a week?
I have a lot of long-distance friends, so in many ways my socializing is much the same, but I have had a standing friend date with someone for about five years now, and after the first few weeks of staying at home we decided to just have a video chat for an hour or two at our normal meeting time every week. It's not at all as good as seeing her in person but it's so much better than not talking to her atall!
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: How are you staying connected?

Unread post by thewrit3r »

It’s nice to see others are finding ways around physical distancing to stay in contact with loved ones

I’ve actually found that I enjoy video chats now when before I was so against the idea if I couldn’t get the in person experience. But I really love seeing my friends. It’s not the same but I still see them and here them and that makes me feel connected. I also used to not be a phone caller person but I’ve found I really enjoy talking over the phone with people! I had a lovely chat with a mentor for an hour and a half on phone and it was so nice :) I’m glad we have this technology because I honestly don’t know how I Or the rest of the world would’ve coped right now.
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It really is great to have this technology that makes it so much easier to stay connected; I'd be struggling a lot more if I wasn't able to stay in contact with my friends at all.
Kaizen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I've kept a journal for thirteen years so far
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Kaizen »

I've been staying in touch much as usual when my family and closest friends live 300 miles away. I have a weekly call with my mom, a monthly call with my grandparents, family group text. I should definitely call my friends soon, come to think of it.

It all has a slightly different flavor when before this I had the option to decide to go see them, and/or plans for the next time I was going to see them, and now that's not a possibility and won't be for an uncertain amount of time.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

all my friends have been long-distance for some time now, so I guess nothing has really changed for me
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic