Plan b + Ovulation Time

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
katesmith
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Plan b + Ovulation Time

Unread post by katesmith »

Hello!

I’ve always loved scarleteen advice and I have a question that no other site seems to be giving me consistent information on, so I figured the best thing to do was ask one of you.

Two Friday’s ago I had unprotected sex near my ovulation time (extremely stupid I know) and took Take Action (Plan b) 11 hours later. When I have used Plan b in the past, it has usually triggered my period the week after but now it’s been 2 weeks since I took it and still no period. (I’ve felt cramping almost every day but no bleeding what so ever).

Most importantly, I took a First Response Early Result pregnancy test this morning and it was negative but I was wondering how reliable these results are with it being only 2 weeks since my risk.

Thank you so much for your help!!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Plan b + Ovulation Time

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for the kind words!

So, one of the common side effects of emergency contraception is that it can make your cycle wonky for awhile after you take it. And exactly how it influences your cycle can vary, and this time it sounds like it's might be delaying your period. With the pregnancy test, as long as you took according the directions that came with it about when and how to test, you can assume the result is accurate.

I do want to check, since it was unprotected sex, are you and your partner up to date on your STI testing? And are they someone you live with?
katesmith

Thank you! The instructions on the First Response package said it is accurate within 5 days of my missed period- but being irregular, I’m not quite sure when that is!

My partner and I are up to date with our STI testing, however it is not someone I live with
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. More sensitive tests are usually accurate around 14 days after an incident, but if you notice your period still hasn't come and you're nervous, you can re-test in a little while to confirm that first result.

Glad to hear you're both up to date on testing! The reason I asked about the living situation is that right many places recommend only being physically sexual with someone you live with, since that helps limit the potential spread of covid-19, so we want to make sure our users have that information as well.
katesmith

Okay, thank you so much for all the advice!!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome!
katesmith

Just an update: you were right I got my period, just 2 days late:) thanks for everything!
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

Great, katesmith! Let us know if you have any other questions or want to talk about anything else :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic