gynecological exam and other things

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Everglow
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I dont know
Primary language: english
Pronouns: her
Sexual identity: straight

gynecological exam and other things

Unread post by Everglow »

I was reading the "Your First Gynecologist Visit" page on here. Now that I have had sex should I or do I need to get this done? I have no pain from doing it and I already know that when we do it again that I'll be more prepared. Would my normal doctor be the one I call for this? She is a teen doctor and I know I can make an appointment without my parents knowing.

The other thing is that I know that I am not the first girl my boyfriend has been with. We did use a condom, but could I do anything else on making sure that I am okay with him?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: gynecological exam and other things

Unread post by Heather »

You don't have to yet, no. This newer piece that one of our staff just wrote after newer studies changed the protocol on this should fill you in: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodi ... _maybe_not

The new criteria given, when it comes to sexual healthcare, unless an issue comes up for you (or you just want to start that healthcare now), what you''ll want to do is just start getting tested for STIs in about six months, then doing that annually (assuming you don't add or change partners more often than that). Sounds like you like your GP, and yep, you can probably see her for this healthcare.

One exception, though: if you haven't already gotten an HPV vaccination, I'd suggest making an appointment to talk to her about that or start that vaccination series, especially since there isn't an HPV test for people with penises your boyfriend can take to know if he has HPV for sure. Condoms also don't protect as well with that as they do with fluid-borne infections like HIV or Chlamydia.

If *he* has never been tested, then he's overdue, so he should start his testing ASAP.

In terms of what you should do to protect yourself, the safest way to go is to have people use safer sex barriers for vaginal, oral or anal sex, and to do that for at least six months. At that point, you can both get tested, and if everyone's clear of infections they can be tested for, if you both want to stop using barriers for any or all of those activities -- you don't have to, btw, many of us often keep using barriers with partners even when we're clear of infections -- so long as you both are exclusive with each other when it comes to sexual activities, it'd then be very low risk to do that. Here's more information on that:
All the Barriers! All the Time!
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

Happy to keep talking about this or clarify anything I said: I know that's a lot of info to take in at once! :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Everglow
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I dont know
Pronouns: her
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by Everglow »

I guess I should say thanks for all the freaky details?
I got the HPV vaccinations about two years ago. I also got some lollipops or it, lol!
I am not sure if he has been tested. I'll try and ask next time. But I will always use protection no matter what.

Is it normal for 14 year old girls to get tested for STI's? I'll be 15 when the 6 months comes around but it still sounds over the top. If I breakup with my boyfriend do I have to wait 6 months before I find another? Do most people wait 6 months between boyfriend/girlfriends?

Why is sex okay if everybody must get checked all the time? Doesn't sound like it's worth it.
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

It's normal - and advisable - for anyone who's sexually active to get tested for STIs! Doesn't matter if you're 14 or 84, or what your gender is. Anyone can catch or carry an STI, and the sooner it's found and you can get care, the better.

Definitely ask your boyfriend if he's been tested next time you speak, and if not ask him to get tested. I get that it might seem a bit intimidating, but part of being ready to have sex with someone is being ready to have conversations about things like testing and barriers. How do you feel about asking him?

Plenty of people don't wait 6 months between partners every single time, and it would be unrealistic of us to suggest that you do, but we definitely DO recommend that you get tested at least every 6 months if you are changing partners.

Getting tested regularly is like getting phone insurance. Sure, you hope that you'll never need it but it's good to know you've done everything you can if anything ever goes wrong. Of course, if it's all feeling like too much, there's no harm in stepping back from sex for a while until you feel prepared for all of it - including the boring bits like getting tested. Have you looked into where you can get tested ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic