Random Spotting on the Pill?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
alipaige97
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm intelligent
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Random Spotting on the Pill?

Unread post by alipaige97 »

Hey! So I am only asking because I've never had this happen before and was wondering if its something I need to be concerned about. I've been using birth control pills in general for about three years. I've been on this brand specifically for about a year (norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol) and had an unusual experience. I started spotting late last night/early this morning and at first it was just when I would wipe, but now there is a little bit on a panty liner I put in just in case. I just took my Friday pill today and have my last pill in week two tomorrow. I have a whole week of pills after that before my hormone free time. I haven't missed a pill or taken any late. The last time I had sex was on the 19th, and not anything since then. I am in a relationship with one person and I know it isn't an STD, and nothing points to an infection. I am not really getting cramps or anything with this spotting. I do not feel sick or anything else out of the ordinary. I've never had this problem before and was just looking to see if this is common for other people, maybe stems from long term use, or anything like that. I can't really call my doctor or any of the Planned Parenthood clinics nearby because it is the weekend and they are closed. Any pointers would be awesome. Thank you!

PS- not on any meds that would interact with the pill
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Random Spotting on the Pill?

Unread post by Siân »

Hi alipaige,

It's not unusual for the the exact way your body interacts with hormonal birth control to change over time, and a little spotting between bleeds on the pill is fairly common - nothing in your post suggests to me anything to be concerned about.
alipaige97
not a newbie

Thank you so much! I'm sorry for not responding quicker, had a busy last couple of days. It seems to have stopped today (blood increased gradually so more than what I originally posted a few days ago). I went ahead and called my doctor about it and they said the same thing. Anyway, I also wanted to ask. I keep my birth control pills in an insulated lunch box with an ice pack when I go to work, just to keep the temp consistent. On Thursday, I accidentally put the lunch box on the floor of my car which was running on low heat. I did not realize I had it set to have the heat blowing onto the floor. It was there about 30 minutes. When I realized it and went to grab it, the lunch box was warm to the touch, not hot, and the inside of the lunch box was a little warm. The ice pack was still cool, and my pills were room temperature to the touch. Did that short period of time possibly harm them?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi alipaige,

We can't say for certain whether the pills have been damaged, but the appearance of birth control pill packs does tend to noticeably change if there's heat damage. So if the blister pack looks the same as usual, then odds are good that the pills have not been damaged.
alipaige97
not a newbie

Hey Sam,

Thank you for the info! The blister card looked normal and didn't have any sort of condensation, expansion from heat, or any sort of unusual appearance. No change in color or smell. I just wanted to ask anyway because it doesnt hurt.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It sounds like the pills haven't been impacted and are safe, then! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic