Period

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Itsangie09
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Period

Unread post by Itsangie09 »

So I’ve started having sex and I’ve been using two forms of birth control because I don’t wanna get pregnant. And my period hasn’t come, so since I’ve just started being sexually active could that affect my hormones or my period too? Since I’ve never had sex in the past and I’ve just started?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Period

Unread post by Heather »

Just being someone engaging in sex doesn't change anything about the hormones responsible for the menstrual cycle: the only way sex itself can change your menstrual cycle is if that sex results in a pregnancy. Sex being new doesn't change that: sexual activity simply lacks that power.

How late is your period right now? Generally, a "late" period is one that is at least five days later than the very LATEST you expected your period, if you have regular cycles. So, for instance, if by charting my cycles I knew that I tended to have a 28-32 day cycle, and the last time I got it was August 6th, then my next period wouldn't be late unless it hadn't shown up by around September 13th.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Itsangie09
not a newbie

So last month my period started around August 6th but I’ve been known to have irregular periods sometimes.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

That actually still doesn't tell me if your period is late or not, because just knowing what date your period started last month doesn't tell me how long your cycles usually are. Without knowing that, I (or you) can't know if it's late or not.

By any chance, do you know the dates your periods started for at least the last 3-6 months?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Itsangie09
not a newbie

I know that they have started at the beginning of the month for at least the last 4 months. So like between 1-10 days of the start of the month.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

That's still not very precise information about your periods*, but it does at least tell us that not having a period by the 8th (over the last four months) isn't anything out of the ordinary. In other words, it doesn't sound like your period is late right now.

What's probably different this time is just that you're worrying about it because you've had sex now, and from the sounds of things in your other post, aren't super comfortable with it when it comes to things like the possible pregnancy risk it creates. Especially since it sounds like the two birth control methods (condoms and withdrawal) you're using aren't really what you'd prefer, and it also sounds like you have a family who you aren't likely in support of you engaging in sex.

So, I'd suggest you start thinking about what you can do to address, resolve or manage what's got you worrying about your period right now. That's what will probably help you with any stress around this. otherwise, you'll just wait on your period to show up like usual, and in the event it doesn't by the middle of the month or so, then we can talk next steps.

If you want more help addressing or resolving this stuff -- like figuring out if it's really okay with you to be having sex using the limited methods you can right now, or seeing if you can't get some family support, for instance -- we're happy to do that with you in this thread or the other you have going.

* In the future, what's helpful so you and others can have/get more information about your cycles is at least making a note of which day your period starts on so you can have actual dates to share.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic