Book List

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
potatochipeater
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: listening
Primary language: english
Pronouns: him/he
Sexual identity: n/a

Book List

Unread post by potatochipeater »

Do you have a book list with recommendations on human sexuality? Furthermore, are there any books out there that you would advise parents and their kids avoid?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Book List

Unread post by al »

Hi there potatochipeater,

Would you mind telling us a little more about what you're looking for? (And what you're looking to avoid?) Human sexuality is a very wide topic, so depending on what information you're looking for, we might be able to give you more specific recommendations. (For example, are you looking to learn more for yourself, or for a young person in your life? Are you thinking about sexuality in terms of relationships and romance, or more from a developmental perspective? Are you interested in a historical perspective, or something that's more of a how-to?)

In the meantime, we've got a pretty great list of books and resources on sex and sexuality (specifically geared at young people) that we recommend in our Scarleteen Confidential Resource Toolbox. I hope this helps!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
potatochipeater
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: listening
Pronouns: him/he
Sexual identity: n/a

Unread post by potatochipeater »

Thank you for the link it's what I was looking for. When I mentioned books to avoid I meant ones poorly written, researched, illustrated and difficult with confusing language or ideas for a kid to read and grasp. I need a comprehensive book for an 8-year-old but also a resource for parents so that we're ready for what she may ask about. A book that explains gender ID and orientation would be great because it's not being taught in schools and eliminated. We want something that teaches empathy and about these things in a very positive non-confusing way. Someone told me about a book called Sex Plus by Laci Green for older people and parents. I'm not sure if you heard of it or if it's even a decent resource after hearing she continually courts controversy. We also know of the Madras books for older kids. Being able to give something she can take and read by herself and come back with questions at her reading level is the goal.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

If you’re looking for something for older teens and up, I suggest my/our book. It remains the best seller in this genre, and I suspect that’s because the work that has gone into it in two editions spanning over a decade, not to mention the work I have done here every day for 20 years, and as an educator before then, shows. Info in that is here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/read/ ... eteen_book That book also has an extensive resource list and bibliographies in the back.

That can work for parents, but I also would suggest a couple books aimed specifically at parenting about sexuality, too, namely “Breaking the Hush Factor,” by Karen Rayne, and Al Vernacchio’s “For Goodness Sex.”

If you are looking for something for an 8-year-old, you don’t want something aimed at...well, way outside that age group.

For that age group, I strongly recommend Cory Silverberg’s “ Sex Is a Funny Word,” which has everything it sounds like you’re looking for in it.

I’m not comfortable posting about books we don’t like or do not recommend here for a few reasons, including the lightning rod that can create that we then have to manage.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic