Extreme Itching?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
wintersolstice
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her/herself
Sexual identity: I don't use labels, but I would say I'm queer.

Extreme Itching?

Unread post by wintersolstice »

Hi,

So for a couple of weeks now my entire vagina has been quite itchy, usually during the evening/night rather than the day time. I don't know what has caused the itching at all and I thought it would go away, as once before I've had itching but it dissipated after about two weeks. I have never been sexual with another person, so I know it is maybe something bacterial/yeast? I also have psoriasis and briefly wondered if it was that, though the inner part of my vaginal area has also been itchy so I don't think it is. I have had heavy discharge the last couple of days that is white. This is usual around my ovulation, however I'm currently slightly late for my period and this seems to be a late ovulation.

I got really concerned because tonight I was itching a lot again, and I've ended up completely scratching my skin and I have caused not only a scratch on my inner labia, but quite a scratch, graze on the edge of the inner/outer labia that is bleeding quite a bit. I'm really concerned that this happened and I want it to heal quickly and know how to keep infections from happening.

I rely on my mother to get me pharmaceuticals and feminine products, but have been too embarrassed to tell her this as I think she'll tell me I'm not hygienic enough. I'm now a bit concerned and wonder what would be the best course of action?

Thank you so so much for reading this and helping!!
0PT1M15T1C
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can build things
Pronouns: They/He
Sexual identity: I don't really know anymore

Re: Extreme Itching?

Unread post by 0PT1M15T1C »

Hi wintersolstice,

I'm sorry you're having to experience that, it doesn't sound very pleasant, I'm also sorry you feel embarrassed to talk to your mom about this.

As far as yeast/bacterial infections there's a few different reasons those happen, not just related to hygiene - including irritation, estrogen spikes (primarily with oral contraceptives), etc. From what I've been told, they're really not uncommon at all (up to 75% of women report having one at some point in their lives) and it's important to see a doctor about it, although that might be harder to do now with the pandemic.

The vulva is quite a sensitive area, so it doesn't really surprise me that you've managed to get a scratch there, most of the time these will heal on their own, but with other things like increased discharge and continuing to itch there, I would really suggest seeking out a medical provider, especially since you're noticing it isn't going away. Also, if it's bleeding a lot, part of that is because the vulva is a mucous membrane with a lot of nerve endings and such so similar to if you got a cut on your mouth, it would bleed quite a bit because it's a mucous membrane.

Your body's cycle can also change because of a number of reasons, not necessarily related to what you're dealing with, however, it's still important to talk to a doctor.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with either some more solutions or ideas about that, but those are mine and I hope that maybe that helps at least a litte.
You have the power to say "This is not how my story will end".
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi!

Thanks for coming by and asking, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult (and itchy) time.

I'm especially sorry to hear fears of your mother being un-supportive... has she been blamey around your psoriasis or health before?

Places like the vulva, groin, (or armpits etc) are actually a common place for itching if you have psoriasis and can be really uncomfortable for those that experience it. We couldn't tell you from here, but it sounds like you aren't experiencing anything in the actual vagina which is where a yeast infection is more likely to be based, however it could still be a yeast infection.

Even if your mother says something unkind about hygiene, it might be worth the temporary annoyance of being unfairly blamed. It is promising that you have access to healthcare through her when you need it. If it means you can get treatment and have some relief from the itching which is now even causing further injury, why not?

It's also possible that she has experienced similar things herself would want to help you out as much as she can, which would be a nice twist.

Having to talk about our genitals with even with world's most politically enlightened 'we-got-your-back-forever' parents is going to be embarrassing for most of us, but it's important for us to remember that this isn't a sexual thing you're sharing, it's a health thing and their response should be as a person responsible for supporting our well-being when we aren't in a position yet to do that independently.

Some questions in the meantime:

Have you had a yeast infection before and been able to compare the feeling?
How does it compare to when you have psoriasis elsewhere on your body? (psoriasis in these areas often forms under the skin instead of the outside)
Do you have any psoriasis treatments that could be used on your vulva or at least reduce the irritation so you can heal?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
wintersolstice
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her/herself
Sexual identity: I don't use labels, but I would say I'm queer.

Unread post by wintersolstice »

Thank you guys for your responses!

In regards to your questions, Jacob, my mother has and to be fair, I often don't take care of myself as much as I should (but that's another story entirely), so I don't think it's necessarily unwarranted. I have had my psoriasis for a few years now so I don't remember very well, but I believe this may be similar to how it originally started with an intense itch, but it was different on my scalp and my face so I'm unsure (the scalp had a lot of itch but the face didn't). I don't think it's psoriasis (though I know I could be wrong) as I'm itching past the skin which I don't think would happen for psoriasis. Though it isn't itchy at my actual vagina so that's why it's confusing. I also haven't had a yeast infection or any problems 'down there' at all really other than that previous case of itching that went away. I only have psoriasis on my scalp and face, so for it to appear there seems a bit odd to me, but definitely not impossible or improbable. I do have medication for it, but when I've been scratching or any skin comes off, its very painful and I'm unsure if its safe to use considering I've torn my skin.

Interestingly enough, the itching has subsided a good amount today, but that's no cause for celebration just yet. I'm wondering if it also may have something to do with stress since my stress levels have been really high? If it gets bad again, I will talk to my mother and request medication or healthcare, but I think I want to continue monitoring it a bit for now until then.

Thank you so much again!! I really appreciate the help!!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Wintersolstice,

Stress can be a trigger for psoriasis, so if that does turn out to be the cause of the itching around your genitals, it's entirely possible stress contributed to the flare up.

I would definitely contact your healthcare provider if it gets bad again, but I'd also get in touch with them even if the symptoms just stay at the level they are and don't go away. Both because it sounds uncomfortable and painful, and because that can help you determine if there's something besides the psoriasis that needs addressing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic