Could this be a hormone issue?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
truly-bluely
Awesomeness Quotient: I can do pretty good art sometimes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: shake it up
Sexual identity: unlabelled

Could this be a hormone issue?

Unread post by truly-bluely »

Lately I've been wondering about some potential abnormalities in my physical presentation. I know that a doctor is the ideal person to ask, but I don't want to subject myself to an intimate examination without needing one, so maybe I could get some more information here first?

I'm AFAB dealing with what could (?) be hirsutism-- a significant amount of "terminal" dark hair on my stomach, upper lip, legs, genitals, and even a little bit on my thighs.

On researching that, I found information on PCOS, some of which resonated. I have binge eating issues, reproductive health problems run in the family, I'm plus sized and hairy and always tired/hungry/horny beyond reason. I have a worryingly tall hairline, and I have grey at the temples. I've seen all of this cited as possible PCOS symptoms or similar.

But my acne is actually fairly mild for a teenager, and my menstrual cycle is normal (although a bit heavy). So I was wondering if PCOS is still a possibility, and if it isn't, is there a likelihood of any other hyperandrogen condition? Or is this all normal?
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Re: Could this be a hormone issue?

Unread post by Elise »

Hi there with truly-bluely, with medical questions of this type and specificity (and diagnoses, including looking at other factors) it is something that it is best to speak to a doctor about this as there is a significant amount of medical expertise required to interpret all the information, particularly as hormonal conditions are complex.

For example, some people do develop grey hair earlier than the statistical average (but not due to an illness), and sometimes we can be in a place where if we're feeling down about our body image, we can want to ascribe it to having something "wrong" with us, rather than engage with why we feel a certain way about how we look. On the other hand, when symptoms of a condition are listed, everyone with a condition won't experience all of them, or all of them to the same extent. Since you mention some of these are causing worry about your health, speaking with a doctor can be a way to put yourself at ease.

This said, you can be in control of what happens and the timeline for any more invasive exams/tests: ie. in your first appointment you can be clear that you want to discuss the matter first and what the doctor think the next steps (if any) should be, before progressing to the timeline at which those take place (ie in a follow up, at the end of the appt only if you feel comfortable). Does that make sense and help with your concerns?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic